PDA

View Full Version : Loading stand for SS pistol

JBratu
08-13-2023, 03:54 PM
Anyone have a good example of a loading stand for the single shot pistol, pic, plans or where to buy one?

Robt. Propst
08-14-2023, 09:21 AM
Gary Brockmiller wrote and published a how to build article for a folding single shot pistol loading stand in the Skirmish Line. Stands can be homely and simple, but have the desired effect. My first was 2 pieces of recycled cedar screwed together, with a hole drilled for the sight, and a wooden bar screwed to hold the butt against.

John Westenberger
08-14-2023, 11:27 AM
Here is a picture of mine. Nothing fancy, just some scraps of Cherry I had laying around. It took me longer to apply linseed oil and line the parts that come in contact with the pistol with felt than it did to make. The biggest recommendation I have is skip the jigsaw for cutting curves, and buy larger pieces, use a hole saw, then cut halfway through the board in the middle of the hole saw's circle when making the pieces that retain the pistol.

Sven205
08-14-2023, 02:20 PM
This one folds to make packing easy.

John.Hayes
08-14-2023, 11:31 PM
I'll take two, Sven. jh

JBratu
08-17-2023, 05:54 PM
Thanks, that gave me some ideas?!

efritz
08-19-2023, 07:16 PM
For what it?s worth. A search on the net I found that all that I have seen have one thing in common. They are prone to having the stock broke at the wrist with over aggressive ramming home of projectile. No stand that I saw gave support for this. I don?t know of any being broken in our competition. Perhaps we?re on borrowed time. I am not a fan of MANDATORY use of stands. I personally feel I have better control of the loading process holding the gun while loading instead of it sitting on a bouncing bench. Look at any stand holding the pistol and it?s obvious of the stress area being affected. If someone has a pic of a stand that has this support please post it.

Harry Gaul
08-20-2023, 11:02 AM
Reading Eric's reply on the loading stand, broken wrist and bouncing bench, it has brought a smile to my face. I shoot single shot pistol, and I have been picked up by another team and happy for the opportunity. May I suggest when you are working up a load for the single shot pistol that you take into account the barrel becoming fouled. It is the wisdom of the group that for accuracy, the bullet should be one to two thousands undersize for loading and accuracy. I shoot an original so my loading is easy even with a fouled barrel. Some of my teammates try to load the pistol, and the ball-to-barrel is so tight when the act of ramming home a ball becomes " hold on to your pistol, this bench is bouncing all over the place. Earthquake !!!!!" I just manage a nervous laugh and happy to be on the line.

See you at the Fall Nationals.

Harry in Pa.
Forney's
03626v