PDA

View Full Version : Civil war uniforms we need an archive.

Tom Arliskas
08-12-2023, 08:58 AM
This is a continuation of an old thread on Civil War History. In the olden days of the N-SSA the Organization did have a goodly number of what we all call "Authentically" dressed Teams and more competition with the Miller Award. I used to be a Member of the Uniform Committee and worked with the others to preserve and study authenticity. All of us kept copious notes on uniforms and clothing-- basically what did the Army of Northern Virginia look in 1861 as opposed to 1864 etc., and the same for the West. All well and good and it was a good experience for me and fun. The Committee members contained a number of quality Museum folks, Teachers, writers and those who made the clothing for us. The N-SSA should be proud that people like this have a membership and work in the N-SSA along with shooting. National Park people, authors, and Collectors are in the ranks of the N-SSA.

We have the 150th Shoot coming up and the Organization will have a number of special events and presentations. I would like to put up a table in the big tent where members can contribute copies of their notes and archives on such things as uniform history, and Civil War arms and artillery. What am I talking about? I know for a fact that many Teams have members who did do research on the Company or Regiment they represent. They have letters, diaries, photos or memorabilia on those Companies or Regiments or they just have the knowledge in their heads. It would be a great shame for the Civil War Community to lose any of this collective knowledge. The N-SSA is unusual in its existence and the extent of knowledge and research by its members. Yes-- We shoot in competition Rifles and Rifled-muskets, smoothbores, carbines, pistols, breech loaders and Henry's and our famous Artillery and Mortar matches, and we know how to use them. That is also a source we need to put down on paper or zip drive. All of it is important and all of it can be contributed to the World via the N-SSA. It would be our research, our notes, our Organization that puts a whole new light on Civil History-- Our History and what we know and have.

Everyday someone goes to the big campfire in the sky, everyday someone retires or moves away and their repository and notes are lost or forgotten. I am not asking that you present to the organization Robert E. Lee's sword or U.S. Grants last box of cigars, [that would be nice]- I am asking all of the members who do have something considered original in content or never in print or seen anywhere else to at least share a copy or notes or a photo-- that is all. We owe it to ourselves to do this. The information will be stored and compiled and a location for it will be found-- We can put on it the N-SSA Collection of Civil War on arms, artillery and uniforms and flags.

The Country is starved for History. You know it and I know it.

What say you-- N-SSA? Tom

Kevin Tinny
08-12-2023, 10:40 AM
Thank you, Tom Arliskas:

Perhaps it is time to respectfully ask our Leadership again:

One way to "preserve" involves restoring missing blocks of our Forum.

During my relatively short membership, I have unsuccessfully tried to use the Search function to locate/read older Threads, some of which recounted significant Civil War firearms information, that were clearly recalled by Veteran Members.

Leadership has graciously shared that Moderators moved blocks of older Forum activity to either non-N-SSA locations or to Internet addresses that did not connect.

Restoration of our access to these blocks would be significant.
Edited for clarity. VR/JKT

Thanks and smiles,
Kevin Tinny

Kurt Lacko 7862
08-12-2023, 11:36 AM
"I would like to put up a table in the big tent"

Tom, I also agree whole heartedly it is extremely important to retain our history and I think your plan is terrific. I noticed the "Big Tent" mentioned. Somewhere along the line I must of missed what is happening for the 150th, can you steer me to where I might find out what is planned?

Many Thanks, Kurt

John Holland
08-13-2023, 11:49 AM
I would like to take a moment to set something straight about "Moderators" on this forum. We have not moved anything to hidden or inaccessible areas.

Carolina Reb
08-13-2023, 03:11 PM
Just to amplify on John's comment. Several years ago (late 90s, early 00s) the BB was either hacked or the server blew up (don't remember which), and its contents went POOF! it happened at least twice. This included a lot of great stuff, like Tony Bagdon's load development discussions, a bunch of uniform stuff from well known authorities, Dave France's excellent lock tuning posts, and much much more. This disappeared through no fault of N-SSA leadership. I'm sure that some folks archived posts they were interested in. I saved Tony Bagdon's stuff, which is the source of the article on load development in a recent Skirmish Line.

Tom Arliskas
08-13-2023, 04:12 PM
Just to amplify on John's comment. Several years ago (late 90s, early 00s) the BB was either hacked or the server blew up (don't remember which), and its contents went POOF! it happened at least twice. This included a lot of great stuff, like Tony Bagdon's load development discussions, a bunch of uniform stuff from well known authorities, Dave France's excellent lock tuning posts, and much much more. This disappeared through no fault of N-SSA leadership. I'm sure that some folks archived posts they were interested in. I saved Tony Bagdon's stuff, which is the source of the article on load development in a recent Skirmish Line. This is what I am talking about-- Items for whatever reason disappear. We might think not all of it means anything-- but it will to someone in the future. Tom

Tom Arliskas
08-13-2023, 04:15 PM
"I would like to put up a table in the big tent"

Tom, I also agree whole heartedly it is extremely important to retain our history and I think your plan is terrific. I noticed the "Big Tent" mentioned. Somewhere along the line I must of missed what is happening for the 150th, can you steer me to where I might find out what is planned?

Many Thanks, Kurt We are going to have a large tent set-up near the Secretary's Office... It will be filled with tables and people from the N-SSA. I would like to have a table or a designated table for people to either bring research or ask questions. Tom

Maillemaker
08-13-2023, 05:17 PM
If you have information you wish to share with the public, in this day and age, your best course of action is to utilize "mainstream" public data sharing web sites.

You can create a Google Drive public, read-only folder and store all kinds of files in it.

You can create YouTube videos.

It's always a good idea to keep backups of the data, naturally. There is no guarantee that Google won't be hacked or have some catastrophic data loss event. But the odds are extremely low and certainly lower than the chances of a catastrophic event with a small, private BBS like this forum.

I work in software, and one of the major turning points we are in right now (and actually probably past it) is for a long time customers, especially military customers, were hesitant to save their data "in the cloud" or on "other people's computers". But what people are coming to realize is that major infrastructure players like Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc., probably have more secure systems than any private entity could do for themselves. And on top of that you have data redundancy, scalable computing power, and backups, all handled by someone else probably better than any small company can do on their own.

Anyway, I digress.

If you have research information you want to share with the world, I highly recommend YouTube. Shoot, if your content is popular enough you might make a buck or two off of it.

This video has been viewed 288 thousand times. Pretty good advertising if it had "N-SSA" plastered within it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLoq9vNvvFQ

Tom Arliskas
08-14-2023, 05:22 PM
If you have information you wish to share with the public, in this day and age, your best course of action is to utilize "mainstream" public data sharing web sites.

You can create a Google Drive public, read-only folder and store all kinds of files in it.

You can create YouTube videos.

It's always a good idea to keep backups of the data, naturally. There is no guarantee that Google won't be hacked or have some catastrophic data loss event. But the odds are extremely low and certainly lower than the chances of a catastrophic event with a small, private BBS like this forum.

I work in software, and one of the major turning points we are in right now (and actually probably past it) is for a long time customers, especially military customers, were hesitant to save their data "in the cloud" or on "other people's computers". But what people are coming to realize is that major infrastructure players like Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc., probably have more secure systems than any private entity could do for themselves. And on top of that you have data redundancy, scalable computing power, and backups, all handled by someone else probably better than any small company can do on their own.

Anyway, I digress.

If you have research information you want to share with the world, I highly recommend YouTube. Shoot, if your content is popular enough you might make a buck or two off of it.

This video has been viewed 288 thousand times. Pretty good advertising if it had "N-SSA" plastered within it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLoq9vNvvFQ

Yes that could work-- If a member has a document or paper on his Computer or in storage and E-mail address might do it-- Tom

Maillemaker
08-14-2023, 08:41 PM
Yes that could work-- If a member has a document or paper on his Computer or in storage and E-mail address might do it-- Tom They make some fairly low-cost document scanners these days. I picked up this model on sale at Staples for like $60: https://www.amazon.com/Epson-Workforce-ES-50-Portable-Sheet-fed/dp/B07KQZWPYN You can also just use your phone to take pictures of documents. But yes, digitizing massive amounts of paperwork is a daunting task.

Tom Arliskas
09-18-2023, 02:16 PM
Well, From a good source-- The Uniform questions recently discussed and reviewed by our Organization is still in the discussion stage. Lots of input, some decisions have been made, but there are people!!??............... you know who they are. I for one support authenticity at all times-- or the wearing of a proper uniform on the line at N-SSA run Skirmishes. It does not hurt anyone and people like to wear their team uniforms, their old beat up hats, with their family and friends. That is what we do and who we are-- sorry if you disagree. It is in the Rule Book-- read it if you will.

That said-- I mentioned in the past an Archive. Well, I believe it a good idea and necessary. Would put us on the Map for CW History and Study... And SAFETY! I have not been able to do all the preliminary work, like finding an Archive who would handle our intake, like a Museum or University. That is traditionally where research is stored, not in someone's basement, or back Office. I will also need to look at the Laws regarding who what and when can someone use our research and for what purpose. And-- to also cover someone who wishes to donate something and is worried if it will get sold, exchanged or end up in the garbage down the road. All that is needed first and I will do it-- WHEN-- I am finished with my Shiloh Book which is taking a lot of my time. If anyone wishes to contact me on suggestions for storage and use, copyright and legal rights please do. I am not a lawyer, but am familiar a little with copyright laws. Anyway-- if you will-- start compiling your notes etc., on uniforms, firearms, cannons, flags, etc., or even Ancestor letters or memoirs-- for us in anticipation. If nothing else-- if we do not get something going you at least have the material ready to go somewhere where it will not get lost-- AMEN

Keith Williams
03-12-2024, 12:58 AM
Interesting thread Tom, as I have been researching a cavalry uniform for a Michigan unit. This N-SSA team had the seniority number of 59, they wore large plaid squares of black, white, light gray and dark charcoal shirt colors. As a young team from the early days, many founding members unfortunately have passed on...which is a historical dead end. Furthermore, the several formations of this group have disbanded...as the most recent was in 2008.

Most historical pictures show cavalry jackets fully buttoned up. If there was a uniform library, it would be great. I have contacted the uniform committee, there was no reply. I do not know if there was an original picture, or a letter submitted describing the uniform shirt back in 1960. If there was some form of a record...it would help.

Currently, I am unsure if I reinstate the team...this plaid shirt will be grandfathered in since it has been worn for so long.

I have contacted the N-SSA with this idea of reforming the team, because the members and families were a close unit who enjoyed companionship, travel, history, and sport. I already know it will be hard to find 5 individuals to restart this team...but, it is something to shoot for.

Yes, to an archive.

Keith A. Williams

15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

"Lead the way Texas...succession is the righteous alternative." Me, Myself, and I!

Muley Gil
03-12-2024, 07:55 AM
Keith, I know of one team that changed their uniform from shell jackets to frock coats, due to better research.

Keith Williams
03-12-2024, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the info Gil. I will say that the large checkered print of the N-SSA shirt did stick out, it separated the team from the rest of the crowd.

Take care, and yes to an archive.

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav

"People care about looking good while doing evil." - Elon Musk

RangerFrog
03-12-2024, 12:22 PM
Is there a place in print one anywhere on the internet where one can go and find the listing of uniforms part by part and team by team? This is probably a dumb question, but if all we have is oral history, uniforming questions will be forever open to debate.
Froggie

John Holland
03-12-2024, 06:17 PM
Keith Williams - Contact our Deputy National Commander, Dave Cole. He has spent quite a bit of time recently reviewing and organizing the "Approved Uniforms" that went into the N-SSA's archives when Probationary Units were given full membership status. Perhaps Dave can pull the original documents for defunct teams and provide you with the information on the specific team you are interested in reactivating. I have found Dave to be very pleasant to work with, but remember he is also very busy with National business!

Dave Cole
03-16-2024, 06:23 AM
Charlie,

as John said I have done a lot of that in the History Center for the active teams, and we have the records for the defunct teams, just have not pulled those records.

Dave Cole

Keith Williams
03-17-2024, 04:39 PM
Thanks John and Dave. I will PM you Dave.

Keith A. Williams
15th. Reg VA Vol Cav