PDA

View Full Version : Bullet casting furnace question/advice...

RaccoonRough
08-07-2023, 09:08 PM
Okay, so I need a new way of melting lead to cast bullets. I have been using a Lee bottom pour electric pot, but it just doesn't seem to get hot enough to make good hollowbase bullets. I can't get it above around 650 degrees. Works okay for modern or pistol bullets though.

So, I was thinking about getting this two burner cast iron propane stove, as I could also use it for other things. However it says it only goes to 15,600 btu's. Is that enough to melt lead in a pot?

https://www.carolinacooker.com/carolina-cooker-double-burner-cast-iron-stove/p/48590/

This larger one goes up to 46,000 btu's.....so this would certainly melt lead efficiently....but no other uses for me.

https://www.carolinacooker.com/12-fryer-stand-carolina-cooker/p/49469A/

So. Does anyone use either of these? I would also need to find a suitable cast iron pot to use with it. Ideas or advice?

Thanks

bobanderson
08-08-2023, 05:43 AM
Not sure you're comparing apples and apples here. You can melt lead over any flame. A propane stove will be plenty hot enough. I cast for years on a Coleman camp stove using white gas first and then propane.

One of my casting pots is a one quart cast iron dutch oven. Works great.

A big help is a casting thermometer to keep your lead at about 700 degrees.

Carolina Reb
08-08-2023, 06:45 AM
One other thought, the heating elements in Lee pots don't last forever and are available as replacement parts. It might be time to replace yours. My bottom pour pots can max out a 750 degree thermometer without even turning them up all the way.

RaccoonRough
08-08-2023, 06:48 AM
My Lee pot is brand new....maybe used it three times so far.

Ron The Old Reb
08-08-2023, 09:53 AM
Your probably not casting fast enough. I found over the years that some molds like to be run fast to keep then hot and others like run a little slower to fill out the minnes. Some like pressed up against the spout others don't. Some like to be tilted a little others don't Each mold has it's own character and you have to fine it.

Maillemaker
08-08-2023, 11:09 AM
Despite lots of advice to do so, I resisted for many years ladle-pouring hollow-based bullets, trying to use my Lee Bottom Pour Pot (4-20) to do it. I tried all the usual tricks - drilling out the spout, holding the mold at an angle, letting the molten lead impinge on the sprue plate before going down the hole, higher temperatures, etc.

Nothing worked. I almost always got voids at the top of the hollow cavity.

Holding the mold at an angle can make it appear that there is no void, but weighing the bullets indicates high variability which makes me believe the voids are just internal.

I switched to ladle-pouring hollow-base bullets, using a ladle with a submerged spout:

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Casting-Dipper-Multicolor-Size/dp/B001OPLJUU

The submerged spout allows the dross the be left behind during the pour.

I would hold the mold sideways, and insert the ladle spout into the sprue hole. Then I tip the mold and ladle together to the vertical position.

I don't know if it is the speed of the fill, or the weight of all the lead in the ladle pressing down on the bullet cavity before you pull the ladle away, or what.

But the scale indicates much more consistent bullet weights with hollow-base bullets when ladle-pouring. So, I have given up trying to bottom-pour hollow-base bullets.

I have come to accept that ladle-pouring is the way to get consistent results with hollow-cavity bullets.

PoorJack
08-08-2023, 02:33 PM
We'll I'm going to be in the bottom pour camp. I have 2 Lee 4/20 pots. Both will reach 900F verified by non infrared thermometer. Both can consistently cast quality minies BUT, there are a couple things that must be observed. First, don't bother casting till the lead hits at least 800F. Second, the mold must be hot as well especially the base plug. Third, only cast till the pot is about half empty, then recharge and wait till it's back up to temp. Fourth, I get best results with the mold being a bit tilted. Past that, tempo and environmental conditions affect quality. I've often said get it hot and pour it fast. If you're casting in spring or summer, the tempo has to change for consistent results.

I'm thinking the heating element in your pot is suspect or the thermostat. Don't be afraid to set the dial as high as it will go. Both my Lee's set to highest possible reach right at 925F max.

Whatever method you land on, the most important thing is consistency.

Sven205
08-08-2023, 02:40 PM
How long have you had the pot? Maybe contact Lee support to see if they will send a replacement, you may have a lemon.

On max my Lee 4-20 reaches around 900, also.

Keith Williams
08-08-2023, 10:20 PM
Amended 8/9/23 The Carolina Cooker is a low-pressure stove; I went with a High-pressure unit.

Hey Nathan, I wrote a thread a couple of weeks ago about my Lyman mould and Lyman furnace which were brand new from March whereas both have hit the trashcan. I researched the Carolina Cooker and what a great price. I am choosing the dual burner. The extra burner side can be used as a bullet catch area, bench, or mould placement for heating. For the size of the unit to choose...personal choice or cost value reigns...Not to mention, the option of deep-frying turkeys beside casting Minie's. As Bob Anderson stated, Colemans stoves have been used for many decades they are proven to be efficient and with less headaches for casting. My new piece of $hi% Big Dipper (Lyman) has gone up to 900 as well as, stayed at 720 while not budging, or it fluctuates too much and rarely holds 800. I have wasted too much time with this inferior company's products. Even with a Coleman stove you can attach a large propane tank to it. This system may be quieter, especially if you live in an apartment complex, if you do not care about sound the Carolina Cooker is the way to go. Either way, the Coleman and Carolina are cheap in price, you can always use the propane on something else. Coleman also has white gas stoves, which are real old school however, I do not know how well they perform. Apparently, Bob has been having luck with his setup, as he states 700 degrees is his sweet spot for lead pouring. I have read so much about everyone finding their sweet spots from 750-800-850 to wide open. I know that my crap-ass Lyman mould does not hold heat, it works well for three pours, then spews junk again after I retrieve it off the hot plate...which is set at max temp. So, if my pot is 800 the mould must be much hotter, this is a waste of time reheating so much when I am trying to accomplish the job. Gas is reliable compared to electric pots and cheaper for the units. Rebel Ron is correct also, unfortunately it did not help me as I pour rather quick anyways. In closing, scrap the Lyman mould if you have one, purchase a better-quality mould, and go with gas. Furthermore, you can take the gas set-up anywhere and cast...Not to mention again, it will stay at a constant heat...not turning on and off every few seconds.

Sometimes, technology isn't what it's cracked up to be...it's a marketing ploy to sell junk!

I do not think anyone on this thread would have a problem answering your further questions.

Take care,

Keith A. Williams
15th VA Reg Vol Cav

bobanderson
08-09-2023, 09:11 AM
I forgot to mention that voids are often caused because the core pin was not up to temp when you start casting.
For many years I have used a propane torch to preheat the core pin before I start casting minies. About 10 years ago
I bought a MAPP Gas torch which I use everywhere I used to use the ol Bernzomatic propane one. It gets that mould
way hotter than the 700 I cast at but it seems like the pin cools down to the 700 I pour at and I get a good long string of bullets.

Keith Williams
08-09-2023, 07:40 PM
Nathan, the Carolina Cooker is not high pressure. I ordered Vivicreate 185000 btu super heavy duty square outdoor gas camping range. Positive reviews, ordered on Amazon for $91.78 with shipping.

I hope this helps.

Take care,

Keith A. Williams
15th VA Reg Vol Cav

John Westenberger
08-10-2023, 01:02 PM
I recently started doing everything with a cast iron dutch oven from facebook marketplace and a turkey fryer. Cheap, takes the 20lb tanks, and cents hot enough to overheat the lead for our purposes. I run mine just above the point where it won't stay lit, and the top layer starts to turn purple. I don't have a thermometer, all I know is it casts nice looking bullets and they weigh within a few grains of each other. I used to use a lee 4-20 bottom pour, but had issues with consistency from the bottom pour, and the top was too small for a ladle to be used efficiently. Since I've moved to the turkey fryer, I can cast nicer bullets much faster. Win win!

Keith Williams
08-22-2023, 12:22 PM
I recently started doing everything with a cast iron dutch oven from facebook marketplace and a turkey fryer. Cheap, takes the 20lb tanks, and cents hot enough to overheat the lead for our purposes. I run mine just above the point where it won't stay lit, and the top layer starts to turn purple. I don't have a thermometer, all I know is it casts nice looking bullets and they weigh within a few grains of each other. I used to use a lee 4-20 bottom pour, but had issues with consistency from the bottom pour, and the top was too small for a ladle to be used efficiently. Since I've moved to the turkey fryer, I can cast nicer bullets much faster. Win win!

Good to hear John, that's what I am looking for a "Win-win" situation.

Take care,

Keith A. Williams
15th Reg VA Vol Cav