PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning smith cases

Frank Oliver
08-02-2023, 11:05 PM
Hey all I have been to a few skirmishes and have reloaded my brass smith cases 4 or 5 times. I use a tumbler everytime but there is still some chalky corrosion on the inside of the cases where the bullet seats and now they are hard to seat by hand. I was wondering if anyone had a fix for thay or method they use to clean the inside of the case to help the bullet seat better by hand

bobanderson
08-03-2023, 05:55 AM
Contact Greg Vest (gvest67@yahoo.com) to buy ceramic tumbling media and soap to wet wash your brass in a rotary tumbler. Ask for the Small diameter with angled ends. I use a Thumlers Tumbler. This system will thoroughly clean your brass, inside and out, and the primer pockets. It also works great for rifle and pistol brass used with smokeless powder.
I also purchased a Lyman case dryer to quickly get my brass ready to reload.

Sven205
08-03-2023, 09:18 AM
Wet tumbling is a good suggestion.

If you're using corn media in the vibratory type you could try switching to walnut shell, it's a bit more aggressive.

Maillemaker
08-03-2023, 01:05 PM
For cleaning brass media, it's hard to beat a rotary tumbler with magnetic stainless steel pin media.

The pins get into all nooks and crannies (including primer pockets on modern ammunition), but don't plug flash holes.

Being magnetic it's easy to pick them up.

Here is an example:
https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Finishing-Pins%EF%BC%8CStainless-Polishing-Polishers/dp/B07NBHTJYM?th=1

Lou Lou Lou
08-03-2023, 02:27 PM
The ones I use are much shorter.

Maillemaker
08-03-2023, 03:20 PM
Mine are also.