PDA

View Full Version : Help with bullet weight and recommendation on type of bullet for 53 Enfield

Charlie White
07-31-2023, 01:49 PM
I have the opportunity to get a Euroarms 3 band Enfield that?s never been shot. I have had the bore checked and the bullet size is .580 and I believe the twist is 1.72. I have never had a Enfield or any musket with a barrel that long should I use a heavy bullet for this gun and how about what type of lube is everyone using?Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Charlie

Maillemaker
07-31-2023, 03:31 PM
Many people like the RCBS Hodgdon bullet. I have had good success with the Moose 577-420 Wilkinson, but it would be too small for your bore. He also makes a bigger version.

You might also have success with a traditional style expanding ball. Most people try to get away with a smaller bullet as it's cheaper and less recoil.

My standard lube is 50/50 beeswax/crisco, with some vegetable oil added to soften it up.

I will say that my very first musket was a Euroarms P53 and it's bore was .584. I could never get it to shoot well. Replaced the barrel with a Whitacre barrel. Became a tack driver.

Steve

Charlie White
07-31-2023, 03:50 PM
Many people like the RCBS Hodgdon bullet. I have had good success with the Moose 577-420 Wilkinson, but it would be too small for your bore. He also makes a bigger version.

You might also have success with a traditional style expanding ball. Most people try to get away with a smaller bullet as it's cheaper and less recoil.

My standard lube is 50/50 beeswax/crisco, with some vegetable oil added to soften it up.

I will say that my very first musket was a Euroarms P53 and it's bore was .584. I could never get it to shoot well. Replaced the barrel with a Whitacre barrel. Became a tack driver.

Steve
Thanks for your information and help.
Charlie

Jim_Burgess_2078V
08-01-2023, 02:02 PM
I believe original P1853 Enfield rifle-muskets had a 1:76 twist (as opposed to the 1:72 twist in Springfields). Not sure about the twist in Euroarms copies. The shorter Enfields have a faster twist and seem to prefer heavier bullets. Lighter bullets like the Hodgdon tend to drift more at 100 yards. At least mine do out of my Hoyt barreled Whitney militia rifle. Bullet diameter is more critical so you will need to find a mould that casts close to .580 or slightly larger and then size. You can't go wrong with a new style Minie (500 grains) if it is sized correctly.

Lube has been a discussed on this forum many times in the past. A time-tested 50/50 mixture of beeswax and shortening will often suffice. There are commercial options like MCM or Len's Lube. The lube has to be relatively soft to keep the fouling soft so stay away from hard waxes.

Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

Charlie White
08-01-2023, 02:23 PM
I believe original P1853 Enfield rifle-muskets had a 1:76 twist (as opposed to the 1:72 twist in Springfields). Not sure about the twist in Euroarms copies. The shorter Enfields have a faster twist and seem to prefer heavier bullets. Lighter bullets like the Hodgdon tend to drift more at 100 yards. At least mine do out of my Hoyt barreled Whitney militia rifle. Bullet diameter is more critical so you will need to find a mould that casts close to .580 or slightly larger and then size. You can't go wrong with a new style Minie (500 grains) if it is sized correctly.

Lube has been a discussed on this forum many times in the past. A time-tested 50/50 mixture of beeswax and shortening will often suffice. There are commercial options like MCM or Len's Lube. The lube has to be relatively soft to keep the fouling soft so stay away from hard waxes.

Jim Burgess, 15th CVI
Thank you for your help and information.
Charlie