PDA

View Full Version : Pietta Smith Hammer Blowback

Keith Williams
07-13-2023, 01:11 AM
Pietta Smith Hammer Blowback
Is this a common problem with the Pietta Smith Carbine exhibiting hammer blowback? I bought it used from a team member where he acquired it from a retiring member. Is there a way to adjust, or heat treat this $24.00 spring, I cannot imagine the newer ones are any better. Moreover, do I have to shim the spring like my Heritage .22 to make it shoot properly? I am searching for answers and alternative solutions to fix this problem. When I first held it before buying...I noticed how incredibly weak the spring was...a kid's cap rifle has a firmer hammer spring than this one. I have not taken it apart yet, nor do I know if the previous owner(s) did some smithing upon it.

Thanks!

Keith A. Williams
15th VA Reg Vol Cav

Ron The Old Reb
07-13-2023, 04:53 AM
​Check the niple hole.

Keith Williams
07-21-2023, 11:34 AM
​Check the niple hole.

Thanks Ron for the feed back!

Keith A. Williams
15th VA Reg Vol Cav

Keith Williams
07-21-2023, 12:55 PM
​Check the niple hole.

Again, thanks Ron. You were correct...someone inserted a musket nipple as the hole was too large, besides that...the threads were too long, and it bottom out.

Lodgewood has the proper nipple for a Pietta Smith-8x1mm.

Appreciate it!

Keith A. Williams
15th VA Reg Vol Cav

Maillemaker
07-21-2023, 04:03 PM
Hopefully that gets it going for you. Larry Flees has done great work on my kids' Smiths, re-machining the nipple hole and cleanout hole so that the nooks and crannies are gone, and also so that there are substantial threads for the cleanout screw. On one of our Smiths, the nipple hole cut into the cleanout screw threads so that of the few threads there were, 1/4 of the circumference of threads was gone!