PDA

View Full Version : Pietta Smith Hammer Blowback

Keith Williams
07-10-2023, 10:31 PM
Is this a common problem with the Pietta Smith Carbine exhibiting hammer blowback? I bought it used from a team member where he acquired it from a retiring member. Is there a way to adjust, or heat treat this $24.00 spring, I cannot imagine the newer ones are any better. Moreover, do I have to shim the spring like my Heritage .22 to make it shoot properly? I am searching for answers and alternative solutions to fix this problem. When I first held it before buying...I noticed how incredibly weak the spring was...a kid's cap rifle has a firmer hammer spring than this one. I have not taken it apart yet, nor do I know if the previous owner(s) did some smithing upon it.

Thanks!

Keith A. Williams
15th VA Reg Vol Cav

Maillemaker
07-11-2023, 11:29 AM
I tried replacing the trigger spring with one of those coil springs and it did not make much difference. I suspect the mainspring is "too strong". Perhaps someone weakened it up trying to get the trigger pull down?

Kurt Lacko 7862
07-11-2023, 05:40 PM
Try a new nipple/cone, make sure it's one designed for it, usually has a smaller hole at it's base.

Kurt

Keith Williams
07-21-2023, 11:30 AM
I tried replacing the trigger spring with one of those coil springs and it did not make much difference. I suspect the mainspring is "too strong". Perhaps someone weakened it up trying to get the trigger pull down?

Thanks for the feed back.

Keith A. Williams
15th. VA Reg Vol Cav

Keith Williams
07-21-2023, 11:31 AM
Try a new nipple/cone, make sure it's one designed for it, usually has a smaller hole at it's base.

Kurt

I appreciate the feed back, thanks.

Keith A. Williams
15th VA Reg Vol Cav

Keith Williams
07-21-2023, 12:59 PM

Kurt

You are correct Kurt...someone inserted a musket nipple as the hole was too large, besides that...the threads were too long, and it bottom out.

Lodgewood has the proper nipple (SS) for a Pietta Smith-8x1mm.

Thanks for responding.

Keith A. Williams
15th VA Reg Vol Cav

Keith Williams
07-21-2023, 01:11 PM

As of right now...someone inserted a musket nipple with a large hole (I will assume for misfires), besides that...the threads were too long, and it bottom out.

Lodgewood has the proper (SS) nipple for a Pietta Smith-8x1mm.

At least this safety issue has been rectified. This should eliminate my hammer blowback as well as, pieces of cap being slung everywhere.

Thanks for responding.

Keith A. Williams
15th VA Reg Vol Cav

Keith Williams
07-23-2023, 03:53 PM
Maillemaker (https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/member.php/2114-Maillemaker)

Thanks Commander, forgive me if my first two responses went through the N-SSA forum and you receive them (I do not know if they did, nor do I see messages sent)? I communicated back to you in detail, I hit reply...it sent me back to log-in, which I was already logged in and communication was lost. So now, I am saving this third attempt into word, in case I fail again...knowing this, I should have done this in the first place.

First, thanks for the insight and your reply however, as a new member I do not know of Larry Flees as well as, many other members or connections. Please send me a contact number or web address if you have it. Thank you.

Secondly, I want to elaborate on your thread instead of creating a new one so other readers can comment upon the results. To answer your question, and which I have read about on this problem of clean out screw and thread deterioration, has anyone used anti-seize compound to delay the problem? I am thinking outside of the box. Please, anyone comment on this. I also read; individuals have welded in the hole...I personally have no comment upon this. Installing a stainless-steel nipple as well as, a s-s replacement screw should delay some rotting effect. There are ceramic coatings now-of-days which may work upon the interior threads, I leave the rest up to the readers and their experiments.

Thirdly, getting back to my original thread on blow back. I appreciate Ron "The Old Reb", and Kurt Lacko suggesting a nipple check, which they were correct. I bought this Pietta Smith used from a teammate, as he bought it from a retiring member. I did not notice the oddity of this nipple when I first cleaned it...since I had no comparison or reason too. After Ron and Kurt's forum reply, I removed the nipple. It was a large bore musket nipple with a concaved end...not to mention, it was too long and bottom out. I do not know if this was a standard insert from Pietta, or the original owner replaced it because of misfires...may be someone traded it out? I do not know. So, my theory is the concave end alongside the large boring hole created a pressure tunnel back to the hammer causing blow back. Hence, before I bought it, I noticed the mainspring was weak, again I do not know if this is typical of Pietta, or someone smithed-it to lessen the trigger pull. However, I do know I spent too much time on the phone calling Dixie, Taylors, and other dealers-suppliers for a proper nipple size...at which I got several different answers. Fed up, I finally called Lodgewood. Yes, many shooters have replaced these nipples with American standard threads. Lodgewood gave me the correct metric size of 8x1.00 mm. Throughout my research, I was told back in the 80's-90's Pietta may have imported carbines with American standard threads which could be an informational tool. Lodgewood s-s nipple has only 4-5 threads, as well as a much smaller hole compared to the muskets 7-8 threads and a large bore tunnel. I purchased the item after comparing with a teammate who owns a Pietta...as of now, I think the blow back issue may be conquered.

I appreciate everyone's response.

I am open to any other comments, suggestions, or experiences with Pietta.

Thanks, and keep slinging lead at the target!

Keith A. Williams
15th VA Reg Vol Cav

Maillemaker
07-24-2023, 11:07 AM
Maillemaker (https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/member.php/2114-Maillemaker)

First, thanks for the insight and your reply however, as a new member I do not know of Larry Flees as well as, many other members or connections. Please send me a contact number or web address if you have it. Thank you.

Larry Flees
231-342-0821
larryflees111@gmail.com

Secondly, I want to elaborate on your thread instead of creating a new one so other readers can comment upon the results. To answer your question, and which I have read about on this problem of clean out screw and thread deterioration, has anyone used anti-seal compound to delay the problem? I am thinking outside of the box. Please, anyone comment on this. I also read; individuals have welded in the hole...I personally have no comment upon this. Installing a stainless-steel nipple as well as, a s-s replacement screw should delay some rotting effect. There are ceramic coatings now-of-days which may work upon the interior threads, I leave the rest up to the readers and their experiments.

I don't know what "anti-seal compound" is...perhaps you mean "anti-seize"?

It is a good practice to use anti-seize on nipples and cleanout screws as a general practice so that you don't end up with them stuck.

A common problem with the Pietta Smith carbines is that they do not do a careful job in machining the hole and threads for the nipple and the hole and threads for the cleanout screw.

The manifestation of the problem is that you don't get very many threads to secure the cleanout screw. Or, worse, sometimes the nipple hole intersects the threads of the cleanout screw, so that you don't get a full circumference of threads no matter how many threads are there.

The danger is that the cleanout screw could be blown out on firing, becoming a projectile that could hit a shooter next to you.

This seems to be a common problem as it has been mentioned here before.

When you remove your cleanout screw, examine the threaded hole. You should have a minimum of 3 good, uninterrupted threads.

Keith Williams
07-25-2023, 03:36 PM
Thanks commander, for Larry Flees contact info as well as, elaborating on the Pietta problem...and yes anti-seize is what I meant.

Take care, hope to talk to you within my next thread.

Keith A. Williams
15th VA Reg Vol Cav

Larry Flees
231-342-0821
larryflees111@gmail.com

I don't know what "anti-seal compound" is...perhaps you mean "anti-seize"?

It is a good practice to use anti-seize on nipples and cleanout screws as a general practice so that you don't end up with them stuck.

A common problem with the Pietta Smith carbines is that they do not do a careful job in machining the hole and threads for the nipple and the hole and threads for the cleanout screw.

The manifestation of the problem is that you don't get very many threads to secure the cleanout screw. Or, worse, sometimes the nipple hole intersects the threads of the cleanout screw, so that you don't get a full circumference of threads no matter how many threads are there.

The danger is that the cleanout screw could be blown out on firing, becoming a projectile that could hit a shooter next to you.

This seems to be a common problem as it has been mentioned here before.

When you remove your cleanout screw, examine the threaded hole. You should have a minimum of 3 good, uninterrupted threads.

Maillemaker
07-26-2023, 11:39 AM
Hi Keith, you can just call me "Steve". "Commander" just means "more work". :)

Steve

Keith Williams
07-26-2023, 01:24 PM
Hi Keith, you can just call me "Steve". "Commander" just means "more work". :)

Steve

Roger that Steve, I did not know Larry Flees is with 111th OVI in the NWT...I'll talk to him this weekend. Thanks for the connection though.

Takecare,

Keith A. Williams
15th VA Reg Vol Cav

Maillemaker
07-26-2023, 02:55 PM
Roger that Steve, I did not know Larry Flees is with 111th OVI in the NWT...I'll talk to him this weekend. Thanks for the connection though.

Takecare,

Keith A. Williams
15th VA Reg Vol Cav

Awesome, Larry is great!

Keith Williams
07-26-2023, 03:38 PM
Awesome, Larry is great!

Hey Steve, I am responding to your thread on those oversized barrel bands. I have learned my lesson on writing responses first on Word...then transfer to forum...this site needs an update...it kicks me out all the time and I lose my messaging. Now, I cannot find your thread...so here is my response...hope it helps.

Steve:

First, does the middle band have a sling mount connected to it? By your pictures, the bands appear not resting upon the stock either, both bands need to drop down. The pictures show the bands riding upon the sides of the barrel, a relief cut on the bottom of the bands will allow you to stretch open the top which in turn would allow the bands to drop down and touch the stock. Weld the bottom, file, sand, and polish. This option would keep the bands from stretching out of shape too much. Another way would be to heat the bands and lightly pound them into place while mounted to gun. You can also do this off the musket if you have an anvil or scrap metal around-like making a jig. Any way you chose, once you get them snug you should be good unless they slide during shooting-barrel heating...or if you cannot weld or bend them tight (still a little loose), barrel bedding will snug them up.

How's the fit on the bottom of stock? If you can, submit underneath pictures. I noticed in one of your pictures that the barrel looks to have rust/pits from a tight-fitting band...is it rust or grim? If it is rust maybe someone traded them out, won't be the first time its happened. Lastly, did the member keep the photos from Gunbroker for cross comparison? It looks like the barrel bands have been stretched out to fit a different barrel, which is possible.

Keep us updated, and good luck.

Keith A. Williams
15th VA Reg Vol Cav

Maillemaker
07-27-2023, 01:43 PM
Hi Keith,

Sorry, my old addled brain does not remember what post this was about.

Steve

Muley Gil
07-27-2023, 07:16 PM
Hi Keith,

Sorry, my old addled brain does not remember what post this was about.

Steve

Perhaps the Macon conversion???

Maillemaker
07-28-2023, 11:12 AM
Perhaps the Macon conversion???

Oh, I think it might be my post about my friend's new 1842 with the ill-fitting front band.

Perhaps this one?

https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/showthread.php/22649-Need-some-help-with-fitment-of-Armisport-front-barrel-band-stock-M1842