PDA

View Full Version : Bayonet Question

patio
06-28-2023, 09:01 AM
Hello All,

Could someone please help me identify this bayonet? It came on a M1816 musket made in 1838 and converted to percussion in 1842. The blade is approximately 18" in length. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Jim_Burgess_2078V
06-28-2023, 12:30 PM
It looks to me like a Model 1855 socket bayonet originally designed for a .58 caliber rifle-musket with the standard slot for a bayonet lug on top of the barrel. It is missing the locking clasp and it appears that someone opened up the socket so it would fit the .69 caliber musket. Lots of hammer marks on the socket to suggest the work of a blacksmith. It did not leave the factory that way but it could be a Civil War period field modification in the interest of expediency.

Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

Keith Williams
08-08-2023, 11:16 PM
Funny, when I saw the pictures, I had to grab my father's dirt sticker which I also use now days for N-SSA competition. It does not have a locking ring either moreover, it is not split down the back. I believe mine is a 45-70 trap door bayonet which has a smaller diameter for fit. A lot of old skirmishers would buy cheap bayonets to stick in the ground during competition. Does the interior diameter look smaller than a 58-cal musket? Just because it came with the musket, it does not mean it's original or from 1842. Along the same line as Jim suggested, maybe someone split it open to fit a 58-cal from a 45-70 musket. Measure and see.

I hope this helped too.

Take care,

Keith A. Williams
15th VA Reg Vol Cav

patio
08-09-2023, 12:17 PM
Bayonet fits on an M1816 musket that has been converted to percussion. Thank you to all that replied.

Regards,

Pat

Funny, when I saw the pictures, I had to grab my father's dirt sticker which I also use now days for N-SSA competition. It does not have a locking ring either moreover, it is not split down the back. I believe mine is a 45-70 trap door bayonet which has a smaller diameter for fit. A lot of old skirmishers would buy cheap bayonets to stick in the ground during competition. Does the interior diameter look smaller than a 58-cal musket? Just because it came with the musket, it does not mean it's original or from 1842. Along the same line as Jim suggested, maybe someone split it open to fit a 58-cal from a 45-70 musket. Measure and see.

I hope this helped too.

Take care,

Keith A. Williams
15th VA Reg Vol Cav