PDA

View Full Version : Best Smith bullet

g smitty 45
06-10-2023, 08:17 AM
What have yall found to be the best performing bullet out of a Hoyt relined Peitta Smith? Going to order a mold from Accurate Molds. Have tried the Lyman 515139 and seems to shoot good but is there something better?
Tks
Garry

John Westenberger
06-16-2023, 12:05 PM
I am surprised nobody has responded to this yet. But I'll tell you what I know.

A very popular bullet for smiths, both repro and original, is the moose moulds smith/maynard. It is long, so it has a lot of bearing surface, and is a real shooter. It was a bullet introduced to me by a teammate who literally wrote the book on smith carbines, and is rapidly approaching owning double digits of them. They all like this bullet, and moose makes a fantastic and extremely consistent mould. They are a little pricey, but 100% worth the cost.

I've also heard good things about Mark Hubbs' eras gone by smith mould. I did not have as much luck with it as the moose, and I had issues with flashing between the two halves, which is not typical of the quality of work typically done by whoever makes the moulds for Mark. It is very close to the original, and many people like it.

I've never heard of anyone ordering a smith mould from accurate, so I can't provide my opinion on them. Hope what I did know steers you on the right track.

g smitty 45
06-16-2023, 04:34 PM
Thank you Sir for the information
Garry