PDA

View Full Version : Musket cleaning

Muley Gil
06-01-2023, 12:39 PM
I try to clean my skirmish guns on Monday after a shoot. However, that plan didn't work out this spring. I cleaned my Smith carbine (repo) this past Sunday, but didn't clean my Parker-Hale 1858 until yesterday.

First, I used the breach plug scraper and dumped out some carbon. I then brushed the bore and dumped a bit more carbon. I followed that with a wet brush soaked with Ballistol (cut 50/50 with water). One wet patch and two dry patches and the bore was clean. I remove the nipple and let it soak. After cleaning the nipple, the fire channel and the outside, I was basically done. I lube the bore with Bore Butter and put a little on the nipple threads as well. It goes into the safe, muzzle down.

There was no rust in or on the musket, even after 10 days, being stored in my workshop. A number of years back, I went a month without cleaning and still had no rust. I DON'T recommend that at all!

I'm sure other shooters will totally disagree with my cleaning methods and my use of the above solvents and preservatives.

This works for me.

Maillemaker
06-01-2023, 09:05 PM
Likewise, I have delayed cleaning a few times. Now, when I leave the shooting event, I usually do a quick "field clean" of the bore so that it's not encased in cement. But a couple of times I have not been able to do that.

I think as long as you get home and get the gun out of its case and keep it in an air-conditioned environment, the residue dries out and doesn't actively work on the steel.

Of course, it's not optimal care by any means.

Steve

PoorJack
06-02-2023, 07:53 AM
I've noticed the same thing. In a dry environment, you can let them go a couple days before serious cleaning. We've had to let the muskets we use when working with the Scouts sit a day or two and they cleaned up just fine with no damage. You won't get away with that with Pyrodex.

I'm with Steve on this one. A quick "field clean" with Ballistol and detail clean at home. No damage noted in years.

Maillemaker
06-02-2023, 10:41 AM
Yeah, all this goes out the window with Pyrodex. That stuff will eat up a gun overnight.

Steve

Rebel Dave
06-02-2023, 01:06 PM
I think all those fake blk powders will corrode our guns pretty fast.
I give my muskets a field clean, till I get home. Then the BBLs go in a bcket of water, and Dawn mix, dry them, then ballistol.

Dave