PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Confederate Sharps O-ring

mdivancic
07-27-2010, 08:00 PM
I picked up a one of these last year. It was sighted in and already had the o-ring work done (I believe by Charlie). The o-ring for the sleeve is about .060 thick, and I can find these out and about. The o-ring in the sliding breach block looks to have been about .025 to .030, I can't tell exactly because the darn thing disintegrated at this weekend's skirmish. I can't find anything even close to this thickness at the size I need (about .750 outside diameter). Does anyone have any idea where one can find one this thin?

ian45662
07-30-2010, 07:52 AM
Have you checked the local hardware store? Or have you asked Charlie?

Ron/The Old Reb
07-30-2010, 08:02 AM
Our loco Ace hardware store has a large selection of o-rings. If there is one near you you might want to try there.

Southron Sr.
07-30-2010, 05:03 PM
You shouldn't have any trouble finding the correct size "O" Ring for your Sharps in a local hardware store. I never have.

I just keep spare "O" Rings for my Pedersoli Sharps in the patch box. Then I can replace one in a jiffy IF I need to.

On my last visit to my local ACE Hardware store the sales clerk asked me if I wanted "Water Faucet" "O" Rings or Neoprene "O" Rings! I didn't realize there was any difference!

He was out of my size in Neoprene rings, so I purchased a few "Water Faucet" "O" Rings. He warned me that they would deteroriate if they contanct with oil-but I have had that "Water Faucet" "O" Ring in my Sharps over a month now and the oil dosen's seem to affect it. I use "Break Free" oil.

GOOD LUCK!

mdivancic
07-30-2010, 09:26 PM
The O-rings at ace are the same as I have found everywhere else. These seem to come in between .060 and .070. I think I need to take the pressure plate into work and shave about .035 off the back. The gap between the pressure plate and the breach block is about .020 now.

Looks like only the floating sleeve was modified by the original owner.

Dominic Infante, 8359V
07-31-2010, 09:30 AM
A relatively permanant solution to the problem you described is to find or make a washer out of steel that creates an exact fit of the gas check plate to the chamber sleeve. I was told by an expert machinist-gunsmith when I got my Pedersoli Sharps carbine about ten years ago or so that the gas check-chamber sleeve fit should be no more than a half of a thousanth (.0005). When you lower or raise the breech block lever the gas check plate should lightly brush the chamber sleeve end. Thus, if you insert a washer and raise the lever with difficulty, you probably need to reduce the thickeness of the washer by about .0005 or perhaps even .001. If you are willing to experiment a bit you can achieve the "perfect fit" and therefore avoid the replacing of O-ring step. This steel washer solution is not mine; Pedersoli adopted the idea a couple of years ago. Along with this modification, it is necessary to keep the chamber sleeve clean so that it does not freeze and press too much toward the breech end creating too tight of a fit with the gas check plate. I remove and clean mine before a skirmish to avoid this happening during competition. The cleaned sleeve is then able to go at least a couple of practices at the range before it freezes in a manner that destroys the correct fit.

Charlie Hahn
07-31-2010, 11:34 AM
If this is a gun I did, it will take the following o-rings and grease.

1392k31 Grease, 2418t123 o-ring, both from Mcmaster .com These can be ordered on line and they are priced right.

Don't waist your time looking in a hardware store as The compound and sizes are not even close. I only use industrial parts that come from and industrial supplier who maintains inventory and a quality control system.

If you need help, here is my number

Charlie
410-208-4736

mdivancic
07-31-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks Charlie! Ordered both tonight and i will give them a try.

I believe the work was done by you, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll bring it by your both at the next nationals. I'll need more tubes by then anyway.

P A Laake 10798
08-01-2010, 12:17 PM
McMaster-Carr (tool supply co.) may have o-rings that you need....try mcmaster.com . If so, you might have to buy some quantity, but their relitavely inexpensive.

mdivancic
08-08-2010, 08:00 PM
BTW shot this weekend with the Sharps using the recommend o-ring and grease. What a difference! No problem with the action all day. Thanks Charlie!