PDA

View Full Version : M1816 Musket--Italian bayonet fit?

kb466
09-15-2008, 12:45 PM
I have a M1816 flintlock musket that I built from mostly original parts with a Whitacre barrel. I am thinking I would like to get a bayonet for it and I see that there is an Italian made M1816 bayonet available. Does anyone know what the inside socket diameter is on this bayonet? I would like to know if it is even close before I buy one and find that it cannot be fitted to my musket.

Secondly, If anyone has one of these bayonets they want to sell, I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks!
kb466@hotmail.com

David K. Fox
09-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Why not go for an original? M.1816 bayonets are reasonalbly common. An excellent one just went on eBay for the cost of a replica. If you go to the Nationals or to the Nashville relic show in December (unlikely, given you address), you's find a chance of them. Google M.1816 bayonets....

R. McAuley 3014V
09-16-2008, 10:11 PM
CENSORED

kb466
09-17-2008, 09:51 PM
I just returned from a work trip to find your responses. Thanks for the advice. I have just about decided that I will not go with the Italian repro bayonet. I found from the Dixie website that the inside diameter on the repro is .861. The outside diameter of my Whitacre muzzle is .816, which means the repro would be excessively loose. It seems that I need to get an original. Another option is the bayonet offered by the Rifle Shoppe, which of course I will need to finish off-- not a big deal. Probably, the biggest problem with the Rifle Shoppe bayonet is the interminable wait to receive it. All things considered, I think I will look for an original one at a reasonable price. If anyone has any leads on one, please let me know. Thanks to all.