PDA

View Full Version : WTT original 1842 barrel

Pearson
07-26-2010, 11:10 AM
I have an original 1842 barrel that has been cut down to 30" that I would like to trade for a full length barrel, original or repro. The good news is that this barrel is pristine, the bad news is that it's pristine because it was plated. Has a nice VP and eagle, and two script A's over a P. Would prefer one of the higher end smoothbore barrels (Hoyt or Whitacre), or an original full length one (I can probably throw in some cash). This is a good opportunity for you guys who want to shorten their '42 without paying a gunsmith, or having to chop up a barrel yourself! PM me here or email yankee1865@msn.com
Mike Pearson

R. McAuley 3014V
07-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Look closer, would the "two script A's over a P " be "AR" over P, about 2-inches or so forward of the VP and eagle on same side of the barrel?

Pearson
07-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Location sounds about right, will have to check tonight. What's the significance of that markig, if I may ask?
Mike

R. McAuley 3014V
07-26-2010, 09:29 PM
The initials "AR" are those of Adam Rhulman (1801-1873), inspector of finished arms at Harpers Ferry onwards from 1830 to 1858, and denotes a barrel made at Harpers Ferry Armory rather than Springfield Armory.

Pearson
07-26-2010, 10:56 PM
It is AR, which is odd, as the lock is marked Springfield 1851. Hmm, stock is unmarked except for a Z in front of the triggerguard. Barrel is dated 1849. Quite a conglomeration here.
Mike

R. McAuley 3014V
07-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Not necessarily a conglomeration. From the testimony before Congress in April 1854 into the management of the national armories, taken before the select committee of the House of Representatives appointed February 13, 1854, Adam Rhulman testified:

Question: Did your employment as inspector at the Harper's Ferry armory give you any knowledge of the quality of the arms manufactured at the Springfield armory? If yea, state it.

Answer: All the arms made at the Springfield manufactory, that I have ever seen for a number of years, are the samples required to be exchanged by the armories quarterly. For some four or five years prior to 1852, no samples had been received at the Harper's Ferry armory from Springfield. In the year 1852, we received from there ten muskets - two of the manufacture of each of the years, respectively, from 1848 to 1852, inclusive.

In the examination of these muskets, I found one of them very defective; the four lock-screws on it should never have been found anywhere but in a scrap-box; the tumbler was spoiled, because it had but three threads on the screw; the barrel was so badly breeched that I considered it dangerous to use, the thread in the barrel on the breech-screw being very defective; besides, the barrel was flawy to such an extent that it should never have been received. In the examination of this musket, Mr. Benjamin Wilson, one of the inspectors of block work, was present. I pronounced it a mass of scrap-iron. The balance were tolerably good, but deviated from the standard of gauges and sizes, and were not as good as those made at Harper's Ferry.

Pearson
07-27-2010, 12:18 AM
Interesting...wasn't aware of the exchange of sample arms amidst the armories.
Mike

Charlie Hahn
07-27-2010, 07:55 AM
I have a full length 42 barrel that would need lining to shoot, but is in good shape other than that if you want to do a little horse trading.

Charlie Hahn
410-208-4736

Pearson
07-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Sent you an email, sir.
Mike

Pearson
08-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Traded, thanks all.
Mike