PDA

View Full Version : Picket Bullet Mold?

Flintlock
04-11-2023, 11:43 PM
Hello, I need a picket bullet mold made and was wondering who you guys would recommend? Thank you.

Hal
04-12-2023, 07:04 AM
Accurate Moulds will make most any custom design you want, if they don't already have what you want. They do really good work and there's no minimum order like some of the others when making a custom mould. They do have some rules on the design. There will have to be a small 'flat' or 'meplat' on the nose. I forget the minimum diameter of this, but it's not very big. Maybe 1/8" or 3/16", something like that. You will have to send him a dimensioned drawing for anything custom, but he has hundreds, if not thousands, of bullets in his catalog. They are organized by diameter, then weight.

https://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=1#catalog-anchor

Kevin Tinny
04-12-2023, 07:36 AM
Hello, Flintlock:

Sorry, but are you asking about a "picket" ball, which is a round based, pointed bullet, loaded over a cloth or paper patch or a "Pritchett" bullet, which is hollow based and often used in British Enfields?
Accurate does not make hollow base moulds.
Smiles.
Kevin Tinny

Hal
04-12-2023, 10:51 AM
They'll make the mould. They just won't make the core plug.

Kevin Tinny
04-12-2023, 11:29 AM
They'll make the mould. They just won't make the core plug.

Yes and thanks, Hal:
Any idea who can make the plug, please? Thanks.
Smiles. Kevin Tinny

Hal
04-12-2023, 12:50 PM
Actually I don't. They would not be hard to make for anybody with a lathe, if you know what you want it to look like. Tom Crone, maybe? You'd just have to ask.

Flintlock
04-12-2023, 01:01 PM
Thank you for all the help so far everyone!

Kevin, I believe I should have said picket ball, thank you for the correction.

Maillemaker
04-14-2023, 12:28 AM
Larry Flees can make core plugs for Accurate Moulds molds, and has done so for me.

He can give you the details of what you need to tell AM also.

Kevin Tinny
04-14-2023, 10:18 AM
Hello, again, Flintlock:

Your clarification indicating you are searching for a picket ball mould maker tells me you are not looking for an unpatched hollow base minie style bullet.

Historically, picket balls were a transitional "stretched" projectile form between one-caliber long patched round balls and up to two-plus caliber long "bullets/slugs". I have experience with picket ball rifles and would be happy to share with you, but need a way to contact you. Please consider sharing how we can collaborate. Major Ned Roberts' book: The Muzzleloading Cap Lock Rifle, contains helpful historical info. Thanks and smiles.
Kevin Tinny

hobbler
04-19-2023, 11:59 AM
A picket design in Accurate's catalog.

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-216P

hobbler
04-19-2023, 12:03 PM
There was a self aligning picket design invented that has a spherical read end for a cloth patch and a tapered alignment band up front. Shear genius.