PDA

View Full Version : WTB .576 Hodgdon mould

Scott Harris
04-09-2023, 08:35 PM
Have a new guy starting up and is interested in picking up one of these...

PoorJack
04-10-2023, 08:27 AM
Moose Molds.

Does it work well? You tell me-

gemmer
04-10-2023, 10:10 AM
When did Moose start making a Hodgdon?

Maillemaker
04-10-2023, 10:50 AM
Moose Molds.

Does it work well? You tell me-

That is amazing! I never could get the RCBS Hodgdon to shoot well in my Pedersoli P58. Keyholed.

PapaRob
04-10-2023, 12:54 PM
Steve if you don't have the deep skirt insert for the RCBS hogden they are prone to keyholing happened to me when I first started shooting the hogden then once I got the skirt insert it tightened up and stopped the keyholing.

Rob FreemanWBR
04-10-2023, 01:28 PM
I found that there are two schools of thought re the Hogdon: those who love it and those who poo pooit (most of time undeservedly so).

For many years I?ve used an RCBS 576 Hogdon with great success, as do many other fellow competitors. It?s a great bullet: light, stable, accurate and does not require a heavy charge. It?s shoulder design not only makes perfect clean holes on paper targets, but it also lends itself to inflict considerable damage in stake events.

Key holing (regardless of the ball) TYPICALLY stems from three primary causes: lead is too hard, ball is sized too small, or lube is stale/bad.

Some have been critical of the Hogdon being adversely affected by wind, esp on 100 yard targets. True wind can/will affect any projectile based on a number of considerations (distance, bullet weight, wind velocity and direction, etc?). But from my personal experiences, wind at the Fort?s Main Range never played a significant role when trying to drop a lead round, on a 6 inch tile, 300 feet away.

The Hogdon round works, it works very well, else many would still be using OS Minies or Trashcans?. You, the shooter have to first prepare the absolute best balls (PURE lead), sized CORRECTLY to your pieces bore (1-2 thousandths UNDER bore diameter) and lubed with fresh, soft lube. Then you need to determine the charge your piece requires. What works for others/team mates does NOT means it will work for your arm!

As they say in the commercials, results may vary?. But with trial/experimentation and the consistent application of the basic fundamentals of marksmanship, you and your piece will be capable of incredibly accurate performance on the line.

Hope this helps, break a leg!

Fred Jr
04-10-2023, 02:21 PM
I have to agree with Rob. I have used a Hodgdon with regular base for many years. While I don't shoot like I did when I was 40 or 50 or even 60 it still works for me when I can hold still and make the thing go bang!!!

Fred Herlinger
12 TH PA

Maillemaker
04-10-2023, 03:49 PM
Steve if you don't have the deep skirt insert for the RCBS hogden they are prone to keyholing happened to me when I first started shooting the hogden then once I got the skirt insert it tightened up and stopped the keyholing.

I believe I bought this mold new from MidwayUSA, so it will have whatever it came with.

Key holing (regardless of the ball) TYPICALLY stems from three primary causes: lead is too hard, ball is sized too small, or lube is stale/bad.

I only use 99.97% pure chemically assayed lead. My Pedersoli P58 will fit a .578 bullet, but not a .579. I size to .578. My lube is 50/50 beeswax/Crisco, with some vegtable oil tossed in to soften it a bit. It could be the lube, but it's not the lead or size.

I assume it was the fast 1:48 twist required a heavier bullet.

Steve

Scott Harris
04-10-2023, 07:34 PM
This is all very nice and I wish I could shoot as good as poor jack but all this does not get my new guy a mould.
Anybody have one to sell??

PoorJack
04-11-2023, 07:57 AM
This is all very nice and I wish I could shoot as good as poor jack but all this does not get my new guy a mould.
Anybody have one to sell??

Call Moose and get one in the size you need

Donald Hempel
04-11-2023, 08:50 AM
Have a new guy starting up and is interested in picking up one of these...
Dixie Gun Works have them $104 in latest catalog.

ms3635v
04-11-2023, 03:46 PM
I bought one of Moose's Hodgdon bullet moulds last year. The cavity and base are way better than the originals made by RCBS. After tinkering with powder charges, I got the best performance with 38 grains of Swiss 3F. Moose's moulds cast a really nice bullet.

geezmo
04-11-2023, 05:34 PM
Scott,

I don?t know if this helps or not. I?ve got a Lyman 578675 405 grain Minie mold in very good + condition in the orange Lyman box. Blocks only, no handles. It casts a bullet that looks like an RCBS Hogdon. I?ve never used it or shot it so I can?t give you any glowing testimonials. If your guy wants to try it I?ll take $55.00 mailed to him. If interested PM me.

Barry S.