PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Zouaves Mississippi Rifles

mississippirifles
07-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knew what caliber of the Mississippi rifle Rifle the men in the Tiger Zouaves used. If you know the answer, please let me know. Thanks!

John Holland
07-22-2010, 04:14 PM
mississippirifles,

I'm fairly sure they were in the original .54 caliber.

JDH

tkavanagh
07-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Direct evidence:

The two minies we recovered from the graves of Dennis Corcoran and Michaeol Obrien, the two Tigers executed by a firing squad made up of other Tigers in Dec 1861, were .54 cal.

tk

Southron Sr.
07-23-2010, 01:48 PM
There should have been a lot more bullets recovered unless the Tigers in the Firing Squad were really bad shots!

tkavanagh
07-23-2010, 01:55 PM
As per protocol, only two of the rifles would have been loaded with bullets, the others with blanks: thus only two fatal bullets.

tk, PhD
2883V
Wheat's Tigers, Co B
1st Special Battalion, Louisiana Volunteers

Ron/The Old Reb
07-24-2010, 08:29 AM
I am just queries. How do you load a musket with a blank so that the shooter dose not know if he shot a fatal bullet or not? From my experience of shooting blanks out of my Zouve there is a big difference in the recoil. :?

tkavanagh
07-24-2010, 12:35 PM
I am just queries. How do you load a musket with a blank so that the shooter dose not know if he shot a fatal bullet or not? From my experience of shooting blanks out of my Zouve there is a big difference in the recoil. :?

First, the shooters in a firing squad do not load their own arms.

Then, yes, there would be a noticeable difference in recoil between a blank and a live round. But that would be, of course, after the fact of firing.

tk, PhD
2883v
Wheat's Tigers, Co B
1st Special Battalion
Louisiana Volunteers