PDA

View Full Version : Maynard not closing tight enough

SHARPS4953
04-07-2023, 03:38 PM
I have an original 2nd model Maynard that's not closing up tight enough. I want to try and fix the issue myself if possible. It seems to be the front lug is worn. Any ideas on addressing this. welding? or some type of shim maybe? Has anyone had success with this issue.

Thanks

Scott Fisher

Lou Lou Lou
04-07-2023, 03:45 PM
John Bly is the man for addressing Maynard issues

John Bly
04-07-2023, 08:42 PM
Your front lug is not worn, that hole is elongated for a reason and that reason is so that it can lock up on the rear lugs. When you say not tight enough do you mean that the barrel seems loose? Does it have excess headspace? Does it close properly with a cartridge in it? Most looseness is because of worn or bent link screws or a worn link between the barrel and lever. You would be surprised how much those screws can be bent. I've seen numerous attempts to correct looseness and most of them were totally wrong. I'll be at the Potomac Regional if you would like me to take a look at it.

SHARPS4953
04-08-2023, 02:15 AM
Your front lug is not worn, that hole is elongated for a reason and that reason is so that it can lock up on the rear lugs. When you say not tight enough do you mean that the barrel seems loose? Does it have excess headspace? Does it close properly with a cartridge in it? Most looseness is because of worn or bent link screws or a worn link between the barrel and lever. You would be surprised how much those screws can be bent. I've seen numerous attempts to correct looseness and most of them were totally wrong. I'll be at the Potomac Regional if you would like me to take a look at it.

John thanks for reply, its actually belongs to a friend of mine and yes the head space is excessive and loos even with a case in it. I had some new spare parts. I checked with a new front lug screw and new cam lever, still loose. I'll be down for the musket shoot at the Potomac on that Sunday. I'm with McNeil's Rangers.
thanks

Scott

John Bly
04-08-2023, 08:58 AM
I'll be there on Sunday. I'm with the 5th VA INF. look me up.