PDA

View Full Version : M1854 "Russian Contract" Colt Rifled Musket

MarkTK36thIL
03-02-2023, 10:45 AM
Exceedingly rare, and very difficult to find, i have a m1815 converted to rifled musket on behalf of Sam Colt to sell to the Russians. In very good condition, it would be hard to find another example, and even harder to find a m1815 converted.

Please shoot me a PM for additional pictures.

$3150 shipped

cmkruger
03-06-2023, 02:39 PM
Hello from central VA.

Can you tell me where you found out about these muskets being converted and sold to Russia?
I am writing an article on these sorts of things and am hearing about these for the first time.
Any source would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Carl Kruger
49th VA

MarkTK36thIL
03-06-2023, 08:19 PM
Hi Karl,
George Moller covers it briefly in Vol. 3 of US Military Shoulder Arms, and it's more "thoroughlyc covered in Colt Rifles and Muskets 1840-1870 by Herbert Houze.

However, after about 1860, where they ended up is largely a mystery. I've heard through the grapevine that some might have ended up with Rhode Island troops, and some possibly ended up through the blockade. But nothing definitively published as I can recall. If you search 1854 Russian Contract Colt Musket, you'll probably find Tim Prince's write-up, which probably has the most up to date info that I can think of.

cmkruger
03-07-2023, 08:44 AM
Hi Karl,
George Moller covers it briefly in Vol. 3 of US Military Shoulder Arms, and it's more "thoroughlyc covered in Colt Rifles and Muskets 1840-1870 by Herbert Houze.

However, after about 1860, where they ended up is largely a mystery. I've heard through the grapevine that some might have ended up with Rhode Island troops, and some possibly ended up through the blockade. But nothing definitively published as I can recall. If you search 1854 Russian Contract Colt Musket, you'll probably find Tim Prince's write-up, which probably has the most up to date info that I can think of.
Thanks Mark.
That is a a huge help.

Best
Carl

MarkTK36thIL
03-08-2023, 11:34 AM
$3k shipped, OBO, or perhaps trade plus cash? (CS Enfield/Lorenz/other CW 3 band rifles)