PDA

View Full Version : 2nd model Maynard, .50 cal...questions before I load and fire

Throckmorton
02-15-2023, 07:28 PM
I inherited the little carbine a few years back,and finally...due to a friends prodding....want to load and shoot it .
been ten years since I shot it, with my late brother, a CW re enactor and canon buff.
I have some 'full charge' brass cases,if I decide to load less than full, do I need a filler like COW so no airsspace ?

From other threads it looks like regular caps can be used ,no need for musket caps ? reg caps do fit on the existing nipple.also are musket caps 'hotter' ?

I have FFg Goex,and FFFg triple seven ,which is 'best' to use ?
...and finally...for now...the tall blade on the leaf sight ,is it shot with the blade leaning back towards the shooter...seems like the only way to repeat the sight picture.
...thanks for any help , and for sure we'll be taking videos and pictures.

Muley Gil
02-16-2023, 01:17 AM
We in the N-SSA only shoot REAL black powder. Some folks get better accuracy with FFg, others with FFFg. Some like Goex, others like Swiss, Schuetzen is another choice.

You will need to experiment to find the best combination for your carbine.

Lou Lou Lou
02-16-2023, 06:57 AM
Yes, you will need filler. COW is good.

maynard should have a musket nipple, musket caps are hotter.

Hal
02-16-2023, 07:00 AM
If you go with less than a full charge, then yes, I would use a filler over the top of the powder. Cream of Wheat works well. Grits or cornmeal would also work, but Cream of Wheat measures out better for me when using powder dippers. I would suggest using a reduced charge. I don't own a Maynard, but I do own several other CW era carbines and I don't shoot full loads in any of them. I find best accuracy in most of them is somewhere between 30 and 40 grains of powder. Start low and work your way up until you find what the gun likes.

Bob Gorsky 10483
02-16-2023, 10:13 AM
Don't use Triple Seven in a original Civil War era firearm.
Only meant for use in modern in line muzzle loaders, Too much breech pressure!
Be safe;
Bob

I inherited the little carbine a few years back,and finally...due to a friends prodding....want to load and shoot it .
been ten years since I shot it, with my late brother, a CW re enactor and canon buff.
I have some 'full charge' brass cases,if I decide to load less than full, do I need a filler like COW so no airsspace ?

From other threads it looks like regular caps can be used ,no need for musket caps ? reg caps do fit on the existing nipple.also are musket caps 'hotter' ?

I have FFg Goex,and FFFg triple seven ,which is 'best' to use ?
...and finally...for now...the tall blade on the leaf sight ,is it shot with the blade leaning back towards the shooter...seems like the only way to repeat the sight picture.
...thanks for any help , and for sure we'll be taking videos and pictures.

Harry Gaul
02-17-2023, 11:48 AM
Good luck with your Maynard. I had one and sold it. Some people like them, and some people do not. Remaining from my Maynard Carbine days is a Maynard shell holder that will fit the standard RCBS or Lee loading device, 7/8 by 14 threads. I turned a discarded Maynard Cartridge into a pusher for Minies. If you get to the point where you would like to buy my Maynard shell loader and pusher, the cost is $50 shipped.

Like cooking spaghetti, you take a piece out of the pot to see if it sticks.

Harry in Pa.
HiPa
Harry Gaul
Forney's
03626v

Robt. Propst
02-19-2023, 08:55 PM
(Did I miss your location?) If you are near East Tennessee or Southwest Virginia be happy to help. Been shooting Maynard #2s for a long time. Full charge cases, reduced cases, plastic cases, grits rather than cream of wheat, all with 3f GOEX, OE, or Swiss. Assume you have a mold. Bob

John Westenberger
02-20-2023, 11:46 AM
Try about 30 grains of Goex 2f, it may not need filler and is far from a full charge. I use a moose moulds smith/maynard bullet in my smith and got good results with 30 grains of Goex 2f, I now use 27 grains of Swiss 2f with better results. A buddy shoots a similar load of Goex out of his Maynard with good results. Seat whatever bullet you have so all the lube rings are in the case, if needed add a little cream of wheat. I'd advise against substitute, it's no cleaner and does change the pressure curve.

Throckmorton
02-28-2023, 11:50 AM
Thank you all for the help , my 350 grain bullets arrived ,when this surprise snow over here at the oregon coast melts off, we'll be ready to have some fun.

John Westenberger
02-28-2023, 12:17 PM
Thank you all for the help , my 350 grain bullets arrived ,when this surprise snow over here at the oregon coast melts off, we'll be ready to have some fun.

Good luck with it! What kind of bullets did you get?

Throckmorton
03-02-2023, 08:51 PM
having trouble removing the nipple it's a perc. cap size, .
we scored some musket caps today so before ordering a M. cap nipple want to verify the size...
...is it 1/4x28 on the Maynards and are musket caps the caps of choice ? any preferred brands ?
.thanks !

Muley Gil
03-03-2023, 12:55 AM
having trouble removing the nipple it's a perc. cap size, .
we scored some musket caps today so before ordering a M. cap nipple want to verify the size...
...is it 1/4x28 on the Maynards and are musket caps the caps of choice ? any preferred brands ?
.thanks !

Remove the barrel and soak the breach in Kroil or a mixture of automatic transmission fluid (ATF) & acetone for a week or so.

Carolina Reb
03-03-2023, 07:29 AM
The nipple threads are an oddball, 0.260x24. Replacements are available at the Possible Shop (and others, I'm sure). https://possibleshop.com/s-s-nipples.html They are listed near the bottom of the page.

Throckmorton
03-03-2023, 11:55 AM
The nipple threads are an oddball, 0.260x24. Replacements are available at the Possible Shop (and others, I'm sure). https://possibleshop.com/s-s-nipples.html They are listed near the bottom of the page.
thank you !! ordered just now. got old one soaking n Kroil .

your info was super helpful, thanks again !

Throckmorton
03-05-2023, 02:18 PM
bullets..Pat Kaboskey's 350 grainers, Goex FFg,various perc caps and musket caps.
shot 30 grains, will up it to 35 next outing, prolly won't be much change.
MANY THANKS for the help I got here !!

we had us a fun range trip!

Throckmorton
03-05-2023, 02:29 PM
I may have missed the answer to this one. ....
.how many firings do the plastic tubes last,and can one hand seat the bullets in them or do they fit tight like the brass ones do ?
thanks !

Muley Gil
03-05-2023, 08:28 PM
I presume soaking in Kroil worked?