PDA

View Full Version : Arms for a newbe

Squarehead1
07-17-2010, 06:03 PM
I am committed to join Mr. Rogers' Rebels in Statesville, NC in Oct. I would like to purchase and then practice with some BP pieces twixt now and then.
I currently have a 25 yd shooting bench in my VA back yard. Therefore a logical point of beginning is pistol and carbine.
I would like to purchase a Remington ( I prefer .36) and a Smith artillery carbine.
Additionally, my GGF was armed with a Mississippi rifle and later a 1864 Springfield. I will evetually also purchase both of these.
The order and timing of these acquisitions will certainly be determined by availability.
My wife would like a mountain rifle. (Birthday + Anna. + Christmas + etc present ? )
We have homes in the Raleigh, NC area and in the Martinsvill area of VA. We can travel to look at what may be available.
Thanks,
John Foley

Eggman
07-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Hi John,
Using my vast powers of logic might I assume you're joining the Iredell Blues this fall? If so WELCOME to the most powerful N-SSA team in the Carolinas. As the Smith shooter on the team I especailly welcome you to the carbine wing of the team. I use the Navy Arms version which services nicely. Dixie Gun Works was recently running a special on both the the cav and arty versions and may be an option. Perhaps you could get some opinions on these guns from the forum. I offer no opinions on revolvers since our four "A team" revolver shooters just finished whipping ALL N-SSA revolver teams at the spring national and will offer what can only be unimpeachable advice. I look forward to meeting you soon.
JIm VE

Squarehead1
07-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Joe,
I attempted to send an e-mail private reply, but do not know if it got thru to you.
We are interested in both.
What next?
JF

tony 1st regt
07-18-2010, 03:05 PM
have a nice Ball smith carbine for sale, where in VA do you live?? check out the post, might do a little better

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13570 (http://www.n-ssa.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13570)

tony, 1st regt engr

gunman35
07-19-2010, 08:29 PM
John,
I am on the Iredell Blues and want to say welcome aboard. I shoot an orignal 1864 Springfield and would gladly let you shoot it sometime in Statesville during a team practice. Looking forward to shooting with you in the near future. Jeff

Michael Bodner
07-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Everyone HATES the Iredell Blues... ; - )

You should join Palmetto Sharpshooters and then you'll have some really good times!!

Welcome to the Carolina Region. Don't wait until October to come on out - We'll be on the line August 14-15 and Sept 4-5 at Statesville. We'll make y'all feel welcome!!

-Mike

norman horne, 12321
07-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Hey Boots; quit pickin on us. Keep on and you're gonna hurt my feelings(one)! I sure hope you're still carrying your Confederate green card; would hate to see you de-ported! Don't forget to come "loaded for bear" in Statesville next month. Later, "Pop-gun" Norm.

Michael Bodner
07-21-2010, 07:27 AM
I ain't picking on y'all. Its more like shooting fish in a barrel. Hmmm... Come to think of it, that could be a great event for next years Donnybrook!!

It will be a hot one, but I'm looking forward to it!!

-Boots

Lou Lou Lou
07-21-2010, 08:31 AM
Bootsie was unceremoniously thrown out of the New England Region for Conduct Unbecoming a Drunkard 2nd Class.
He is still bitter and is lashing out at the Exemplary Blues a fine group of shooters and gentle persons. They just happen to be our neighbors at Ft. Shenandoah

P.S. We might take him back if you sweeten the pot up a bit. H&P Smoothbores for everyone in the Region.

Regards

norman horne, 12321
07-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Hi Lou. As long as he is "card-carrying", I reckon we are stuck with him. Just as info, there IS a bounty on the person that originally issued him his Conf. green card! (So far, no confessions)! Later, Norm.

Lou Lou Lou
07-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Norm
You will surely be rewarded in the afterl ife

2kycav
07-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Hey John, unless you are set on a Missy, I have an older Zoli Zouave i just listed for $300....it has been skirmished with by me with some success, and I have restocked it with an older, nice Walnut stock, and have the barrel in the white needin' polished and re-browned or re-blued whichever you prefer........Thanks.......J.K. Spence.....304-781-6667....jkmando3@yahoo.com

mdivancic
07-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Hi John:

From the far north contingent of the Blues (Portland, ME) welcome. Probably won't see you until nationals this year, but looking forward to it.

As for Bootsie, from the comments I heard up at Saratoga, NY last week I don't believe anyone in the New England region will be taking him back.

Michael Bodner
08-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Oh, like I would even WANT to go back there......

Hope you had a great time with the NE folks. Except for Lou, or course...

-Mike