PDA

View Full Version : Brush Stuck in Patented breech

michael noble
01-17-2023, 06:58 AM
I have a Mississippi with a Bill Large barrel that has a patented breech. I got my brush stuck in the breech and it broke off from the cleaning rod. The brush puller cannot go down far enough to grab enough bristles to pull it out, and I have tried a worm/wiper to try to grab it but was unsuccessful. So I am going to have to remove the breech plug. I have it soaking in Ballistol. I have never removed a breech plug before. I have located the alignment marks. My question is, what is the best way to go about doing it? Or is there another way to remove the brush?
Thanks

Mike Noble
Lenoir Braves

B-Davis
01-17-2023, 09:10 AM
How about a long piece of PVC pipe that fits in the bore? Slide it down and see if it can envelop the brush and pull it out? I have done this before.

Bob Hatfield
01-17-2023, 09:19 AM
Can you get enough 3f, 4f under the nipple to shoot it out? If you can, it might or might not help to put a wad in front of the brush to create enough pressure. One other thing is your brush might have been the type that is swaged/crimped into the threaded holder. These are the types that break off. There is another type that is connected to the holder to where it cannot break off.

Bob

Maillemaker
01-17-2023, 10:56 AM
Try to find a piece of pipe that will slide into the patent breech, over the brush.

You might have to build up some tape or something on the outside to match the bore diameter to keep the pipe centered in the bore as it goes down to the breech.

Steve

geezmo
01-17-2023, 11:27 AM
Search brush puller here. Bob Gorsky had them for sale back in April.

geezmo
01-17-2023, 11:30 AM
Oops, just reread your first post. I see you have a puller.

Hal
01-17-2023, 12:14 PM
I'd try to blow it out with compressed air first. If that didn't work, I'd do what Bob Hatfield said above. Note I did not say YOU should do that. I said it is what I would probably do.;)

Jim_Burgess_2078V
01-17-2023, 12:46 PM
A brush puller is probably still your best bet but it needs to be a size that fits within the patent breech. You can fabricate one from a 50-70 or other appropriate size brass cartridge case. Just drill out the primer pocket and tap to fit the end of your ramrod or cleaning rod. Shaving down the case rim may also be needed.

I use brushes in my Sharps and other breechloaders but never in a muzzleloader. If you have adequate lube on your bullets, a brush should not be needed. I can shoot a whole musket team match without wiping the bore. A brush will never reach and clean the very bottom of the bore next to the breech screw. As Bob Hatfield has noted, not all brushes are created equal and only the ones in which the wire is looped around the base are not prone to separate.

Jim Burgess
15th CVI

Bob Hatfield
01-17-2023, 04:51 PM
If you find that the PVC pipe slides over the brush, you might even use some JB weld in the end of the pipe. Slide it over the brush (hopefully it digs in good) and let it dry overnight.

Bob

michael noble
01-18-2023, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone. Y'all have given me some good ideas, well worth the try. Thanks

Hambone
01-18-2023, 05:55 PM
The last time i got a brush stuck the way i got it out was to run another brush down and rotate it so goes down beside the first one then pull it out.

John

Ron The Old Reb
01-18-2023, 09:22 PM
​Ok! Get an old corkscrew Epoxy it in an old cleaning rod or dowel rod run it down the barrel turn it several time and pull it out. Just make sure you got it fasten to the rod really good. That how I did it years ago. I pulled then out with a patch puller also. Use the patch puller with the two little pointed wires this is the easiest.

michael noble
01-19-2023, 07:28 AM
SUCCESS!! I poured a little 4F powder into the bolster and capped it. It still took 3 try's, but the 3rd time was a charm.
Thanks to all for the tips.

Mike Noble
Lenoir Braves

Eddie Davenport
01-25-2023, 11:26 AM
How about shooting air through the nipple like we do for a fouled gun.

bobanderson
01-26-2023, 07:09 AM
The brush is larger than the ID of the barrel, but the stem of the brush is usually tightly wound wire about 1/4".
The simplest solution is use a piece of thin wall conduit that fits inside the barrel AND the patent breech.

(FYI - IF YOU ARE WORKING ON AN H&P, THE ID OF THE BREECH IS RIGHT AROUND .580")

Buy a 4 ft piece of 1/2" thin wall and it should work great.

Good luck.

JW 5875V
01-26-2023, 10:37 AM
1/2" EMT is .704 OD. Too large for bore.

Jim Whitehouse Sr. 5875V
Allegheny City Guards