PDA

View Full Version : Colt Musket

kowdok
07-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Anyone have an idea of what an original Colt 3 band musket in "shooting" condition is worth.

S.Sullivan
07-15-2010, 07:53 PM
On a recent Pawn Stars episode on the History Channel the owner of the Gold & Silver Pawn Shop offered $800.00 for one. The seller declined the offer.
This is a hard question, Five "experts", five different opinions.
Check Gunbroker.com perhaps, but also note if the asking price is met, or does the Colt go begging month after month.
S.Sullivan

Dan Greketis 4914V
07-15-2010, 09:55 PM
On a recent Pawn Stars episode on the History Channel the owner of the Gold & Silver Pawn Shop offered $800.00 for one. The seller declined the offer.
This is a hard question, Five "experts", five different opinions.
Check Gunbroker.com perhaps, but also note if the asking price is met, or does the Colt go begging month after month.
S.Sullivan
It was determined that the stock had been replaced dropping the value.

R. McAuley 3014V
07-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Dan Greketic 4914V wrote:
It was determined that the stock had been replaced dropping the value.

What I found interesting was though their expert remarked about the absence of inspector's marks as the justification that the stock had been replaced, he remarked that the barrel was marked "N.J." but did not comment on whether the stock flat was also marked "N.J."? Or did anyone else hear him say it was so marked? In the New Jersey examples I have seen, all have been stamped with "N.J." on the barrel and on the flat side of the stock, centered. And none had any other government inspector's marks since they weren't being accepted into federal service. Besides some 96,500 purchased by the federal government, another 2,500 second class were sold by Colt to Schuyler, Hartley and Graham, and perhaps Joe Bilby could offer more definitive remarks on how many of this model was accepted by the State of New Jersey and how they were marked.

Frankly, I was much relieved that the pawn shop didn't get the Colt, as no doubt like in past episodes when they have bought some antique pistol, musket, even artillery pieces... they just had to go out and shoot them so to make sure the gun worked! I'm still waiting for some future episode when Chumlee buys a land mine and takes it out into the desert to see if it works!