PDA

View Full Version : Relining an original barrel

Will Ganz
12-29-2022, 10:55 PM
Before I dive too far off into this project, would like to get some guidance due to reading this from in the list of approved firearms:

IMPORTANT NOTICES. READ CAREFULLY!
(1) It is the responsibility of the skirmisher tofind out if planned or executed changes might void the existing approval of an arm or a barrel, and to submit altered production arms and/or barrels to the Small Arms Committee for consideration.

Got an original 1842 Springfield barrel. Has some rough rust spots in it and when mic'd at the muzzle is an honest 0.708". Right now, its breech end is chilling in a Kroil oil bath for a couple of months before visiting the fine folks at Lodgewood to get the original nipple out and replaced. Once I get back at Spring Nationals, it'll make the trip round the corner to see N-SSA's wizard of barrels, Mr. Hoyt.

My question is how much leeway is there in relining an original barrel? Out of an abundance of caution and respect for 180 year old metal plus wanting to have it smoothed up for competitive sake, I'd like to have it cleaned/trued up then lined to 0.615"(aka 20 gauge). This is due to my calculations of (0.720[to allow for any metal removal to clean/true] - 0.615) / 2[a barrel has 2 sides] = 0.0525" which is about the thickness of a modern shotgun barrel.

Yes, I know I'm not in SASS but N-SSA but want to keep with the 'spirit of the game' and stay > 0.60". Also want some amount of modern steel between me and that BP load when fired. The reason that I want to wait until Spring Nationals is to have some SAC eyes laid upon it there to give an official blessing prior to handing C notes to Mr. Hoyt to start turning chips out of it.

But for now, would like to know if an original barrel can be relined to a smaller caliber(0.615"[aka 20GA]) or has to stay at the original 0.69" caliber?

geezmo
12-30-2022, 06:45 AM
I believe, but wouldn?t swear to it, that you have to stay with 69 caliber. Bob Hoyt lined a nasty bore 42 for me a number of years ago and I?ve been shooting .678 round balls with 60 to 70 grains of 3f powder with no problems at all.

Richard Hill
12-30-2022, 08:04 AM
The tolerance for the bore is .68 to .70, so you can't go to .615 and be legal. If the bore will end up too thin after reaming Mr. Hoyt can cut the barrel off under the front band [to hide the seam] and make front end of the liner thicker to match the original diameter with the correct taper.

John Bly
12-30-2022, 09:42 AM
It can certainly be lined. I've had several done by Hoyt and they shoot fine. You can't go to 20 ga and be legal to shoot in the N-SSA. It must remain in the original caliber.

ms3635v
12-30-2022, 09:55 AM
The NSSA rule is plus or minus one caliber.

Will Ganz
12-30-2022, 06:00 PM
The NSSA rule is plus or minus one caliber.

Would be nice if there was a tacked thread at the top that had links to pdf files where such information was recorded in pdf files. Also, links to spec sheets for each weapon would be useful. Versus being scattered throughout the website.

John Holland
12-31-2022, 10:51 AM
Mr. Ganz - Your own team member, Richard Hill, is a member of the Small Arms Committee and can supply you with all of the information you are interested in.

John Holland
Small Arms Staff Officer
Chairman, Small Arms Committee