PDA

View Full Version : Gns of powder for .36 cal

relichunter
07-15-2010, 09:20 AM
Just picked up a Navy .36 caliper pistol from a fellow member. Any idea where I should start for the amount of grains of powder? new at this so any advice will really help. Also I noticed shooters on line had preloaded their bullet and powder in a red plastic cap, pulled the bullet out, dumped in the powder and put the plastic thing away. So, where would I get these "things" for both .45 and .36 cal? Thanks for any help. Will see some of you at Statesville soon.

R. McAuley 3014V
07-15-2010, 11:30 AM
I shoot a 3rd generation Colt 1851 .36 Navy and found that merely eight grains of triple fine Goex was adequate to keep my shots to a reasonable group using a 6 o'clock sight picture for 25 yards and 12 o'clock sight picture for 50 yards. For pre-loads I use small plastic medical sample tubes with screw cap (from S&S) which keeps my powder dry, and I actually use the small cavity on the bottom end for a powder measure because it measures precisely 8 grains of triple fine Goex. I don't use cast round balls but buy the 80-grain Speer .375 diameter balls (100 for $6-$8 or there about) simply because the Speer round balls are more consistent and less chance of getting a ball that is not completely a sphere. I've had some roundball moulds cast an oblong ball and others with faces that didn't quite align. While I haven't won any revolver medals, I really haven't shot that much. But I did experiment with various loads between 12 and 15 grains before deciding on the light 8 grain charge because it gave me the most consistent and tightest group out of 20 shots. The 8 grains represents the same 1:10 powder-to-ball ratio I use with most all blackpowder guns. Besides, since I'm only hunting paper, clay pigeons or ceramic tile, I don't need to knock down no bears even if it could!

Michael Bodner
07-15-2010, 12:47 PM
I fill mine right up to the top. Then I use a match to help me see if they are all even. Then I put the bullet on the top and use the gun of the guy next to me to pound it in to the cylinder.

Eventually, after I fire off enough caps, something comes out the barrel. I haven't had any of them hit yet, but I'm pretty sure they're holding my 1st place medal for me in Winchester...

-Mike

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
07-15-2010, 01:01 PM
The one my wife owns uses 12 grains of FFFg GOEX with corn meal for filler and a round ball. Six shots in the size of a quarter at 25 yards with that load. I did have to put a higher front sight on the gun for her.

relichunter
07-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Hey Poopsie, I just tried your method, not sure it will work, but I'll try to load some in your shed some time, maybe even tonight. While our fireworks show was great, I'll bet this will top anything we'll do this year.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
07-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Hey, Bootsie, Where do you do your shooting FROM--South Carolina?