PDA

View Full Version : Ballard conversion

terryspike
12-14-2022, 07:47 PM
recently acquired one. Looking for a conversion breechblock assy.

Jack C., 69th NY
12-15-2022, 11:02 AM
Is that a dual ignition model? Are you looking for a screw in unit? If you are, those CF assemblies , I believe, were only threaded for the later Brown and some Merrimack Ballards. I do not think they will fit a Ball & Williams without some modification of the block. Your least destructive alternative might be to have the hammer modified to center fire.

Carolina Reb
12-15-2022, 06:49 PM
Is that a Dwight Chapin 56-56 caliber Ballard?

terryspike
12-15-2022, 06:55 PM
Is that a dual ignition model? Are you looking for a screw in unit? If you are, those CF assemblies , I believe, were only threaded for the later Brown and some Merrimack Ballards. I do not think they will fit a Ball & Williams without some modification of the block. Your least destructive alternative might be to have the hammer modified to center fire.

that will probably be my best option.
Thanks

terryspike
12-15-2022, 07:03 PM
Is that a Dwight Chapin 56-56 caliber Ballard?

I made a casting of the barrel. shell size came out to around .438/.440. I ran my 430 bullet down and came out to around .427.
It's a Merwin and Bray

terryspike
12-15-2022, 08:18 PM
I made a casting of the barrel. shell size came out to around .438/.440. I ran my 430 bullet down and came out to around .427.
It's a Merwin and Bray

So I did a little more research. Here are pics of the breech and the outside markings. I found a similar item on gunsinternational listed. It does not have the No. 44 marking, but that is what it seems to be. Could this be one of those 200? If so, any modification is out of the question.

Here we present an antique Ball & Williams Dual Ignition Ballard Falling Block Carbine in .44 Rimfire or Percussion, made circa 1865 through 1866 in Worcester, Massachusetts. The Ballard design was one of the favorite long arms during the Civil War period, though production numbers do not necessarily reflect it. It was a simple, single-shot falling block action and was one of the early guns that would fire a metallic cartridge. This one is capable of firing metallic rimfire or the older paper percussion cartridges.

There were roughly 2,200 of the Ballards manufactured during its two year production run using the dual ignition system which can use rimfire or percussion caps. Of those, it is estimated that only 200 were manufactured in the ?carbine? format. It has the standard Ballard and Merwin & Bray markings on the sides of the action, ?No. 44? and matching serial numbers on the top at the breech.

The Ballard is an interesting rifle in that it began its career during the American Civil War, when it was produced in relatively small numbers (only about 24,000 from 1862-1873) by five different manufacturers. It was ultimately made a commercial success when made into one of the staples of the Marlin Company. Charles H. Ballard invented the rifle and the famed arms agents Merwin & Bray secured government contracts and lined up the firearms companies to make them.