PDA

View Full Version : Confederate Badges

barrett
09-11-2008, 01:50 AM
Hey- I wonder what these "badges" look like- anyone know? Thought maybe someone might have seen one at an auction or relic show- Thanks-Barrett, 7th Va

Southern Historical Society Papers.
Vol. XXV. Richmond, Va., January-December. 1897.
The Thirty-Eighth N. C. Regiment.

General Pender in his report says:
"I can truly say that my brigade fought, May 3, with unsurpassed courage and determination. I never knew them to act universally so well..I noticed no skulking, and they never showed any hesitation in following their colors. My list of killed and wounded will show how manfully they fought on that glorious day. After having witnessed the fighting of nearly all the troops that fought on the left of the road I am satisfied with my own but by no means claiming any superiority. All that I saw behaved as heroes. * * *
"Lieutenant-Colonel John Ashford, Lieutenants Alsa J. Brown, John Robinson, 38th North Carolina, the former part of the time and the latter part of the time in charge of my sharpshooters, distinguished themselves very much. Colonel Ashford was remarked for his gallantry by all, and Lieutenant Brown continued with or in charge of the sharpshooters for several days. He is a young man who deserves promotion. He kept his skirmishers so close to the enemy's breastworks on Monday and Tuesday as to pick off the artillery horses, men working on their trenches, and any one seen mounted. He drove in other skirmishers on all occasions. I should mention that Major M. McR. McLaughlin, 38th North Carolina, was badly wounded while behaving most gallantly. Adjutant D. N. Mcintyre is also spoken of for his distinguished conduct."
The loss of the brigade was 700, the 38th North Carolina losing two officers, Captain McRae and Lieutenant Hare, killed. Officers: eighty-one wounded; sixteen privates killed; twelve missing.

The Confederate Congress passed an act by which badges might be given to enlisted men, whom the companies might select as being entitled to them. After the battle of Chancellorsville the following were given badges:

Company A--Private Jesse A. Nethercutt, Duplin county; Company B--Private Thomas Dinkins, Yadkin county; Company C--Private Benjamin Sutton, Sampson county; Company D--First Sergeant David A. Thompson, Sampson county; Company E--Private William J. Hutcheson (killed), Richmond county; Company F--Private William S. Huffman, Catawba county; Company G--Private <shv25_258>W. F. Matheson, Alexander county; Company H--Corporal D. P. Woodburn, Randolph county (killed at Gettysburg); Company I--Private Thomas J. Ramsey, Cleveland county; Company K--Private W. H. McPhail, Cumberland county.

Here is the Act passed by the Confederate Congress:

Oct. 13, 1862 ch. 61. Medals and badges as reward for courage and good conduct.

381. That the President be and he is hereby authorized to bestow medals, with proper devices, upon such officers of the armies of the Confederate States as shall be conspicuous for courage and good conduct on the field of battle; and also to confer a badge of distinction upon one private or non-commissioned officer of each company after every signal victory it shall have assisted to achieve. The non-commissioned officers and privates of the company who may be present on the first dress-parade thereafter may choose, by a majority of their votes, the soldier best entitled to receive such distinction, whose name shall be communicated to the President by commanding officers of the company, and if the award fall upon a deceased soldier, the badge thus awarded him shall be delivered to his widow, or if there be no widow, to any relation the President may adjudge entitled to receive it.

barrett
12-19-2008, 02:05 PM
btt

ghij462
06-19-2010, 02:10 AM
Those who catch my eyes

A man who lived in a block of apartments nike shoes (http://www.ashoess.com/) thought it was raining and put his head out the window to check. As he did so a glass eye fell into his hand.

He looked up to see where it came asics shoes (http://www.ashoess.com) from in time to see a young woman looking down.
"Is this yours?" he asked.

She said, "Yes, could you bring it up?" and the man agreed.

On arrival she was D&G shoes (http://www.ashoess.com/) profuse in her thanks and offered the man a drink.puma ferrari (http://www.ashoess.com/) As she was very attractive he agreed. Shortly afterwards she said, "I'm about to have dinner. There's plenty. Would you like to join me?"

He readily accepted her offer and both enjoyed mbt shoes (http://www.ashoess.com) a lovely meal. As the evening was drawing to a close the lady said, "I've had a marvelous evening. Would you like to stay the night?"

The man hesitated then said, "Do you act like this with every man you meet?"

"No," she replied, "Only those who catch my eye."

ms3635v
06-24-2010, 04:16 PM
I would like to know what the response to Barrett's question has to do with anything ... SPAM I guess!

Mike Santarelli, Co. B, 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry, MA Region

RaiderANV
07-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Yup....a SPAMMER at work. If you click those links he'll get credit for them along with payment. Then again you may get yer puter hecked and he'll get all yer loot :wink:

Gary/CO
11-04-2010, 02:10 PM
I know Maryland Steuart came up with a plan for badges but implementation was sketchy. One soldier wrote home and ask his girlfriend or wife with the design and the color and asked her to provide the finished product. Winslow home painted a cross on one Confederate soldier's sleeve (Prisoners From the Front) and on a cavalryman's jacket. Goggle "Sharpshooters as Prisoners" if you want to read more and see the actual images.

Southron Sr.
09-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Confederate Sharpshooters were issued a special badge. The Sharpshooter Badge allowed the man to pass back and forth between Confederate units without being mistaken for a deserter or spy. This was because Sharpshooters were allowed a great amount of discretion to move to where they felt they could get the best shots at the Yanks.