PDA

View Full Version : 602 mould question

BLakatos
11-01-2022, 08:27 PM
I recently shot some 602 minies sized to .576 and had great results. My friend didn?t have the mold anymore but had a bunch that were cast. I?ve looked around for a 602 mould but they are all .575 Lyman.
Does anyone know which company made the 602 and was it available in sizes other than .575
Thanks, Brian

Jim_Burgess_2078V
11-02-2022, 12:36 PM
Brian,

Lyman makes the 575602 Minie mould in one size only. Many moulds will cast larger than their stated diameter, especially after they heat up. It is sometimes necessary to size the bullets back down to the diameter you need. I have a spare 575602 mould (lightly used) I'm willing to part with for $50. I haven't cast any bullets with it in a long time and can't tell you what diameter they actually are. I suspect it wouldn't be far off the .576 diameter you need.

I will have a N-SSA display table at the Virginia Gun Collectors Assn. show at the Prince William County Fairgrounds in Manassas this coming weekend. I can bring the mould to the show if you have any interest in it.

Jim Burgess
15th Conn. Vol. Inf.

Rick R
11-03-2022, 02:09 PM
I believe that the Lyman 575602 has been obsolete for some time. I have been using it since about 1985. The base is relatively deep and the skirt is relatively thin. If I had to guess I'd say that the reason this didn't catch on to a greater extent is with that thin deep skirt its tough to cast. I have found that I need to cast very hot to the point I get a bluish hue. I can't say how hot since I believe my thermometer is off and I'm looking for consistency and repeatability not so much the nominal temp.

BLakatos
11-03-2022, 09:39 PM
Brian,

Lyman makes the 575602 Minie mould in one size only. Many moulds will cast larger than their stated diameter, especially after they heat up. It is sometimes necessary to size the bullets back down to the diameter you need. I have a spare 575602 mould (lightly used) I'm willing to part with for $50. I haven't cast any bullets with it in a long time and can't tell you what diameter they actually are. I suspect it wouldn't be far off the .576 diameter you need.

I will have a N-SSA display table at the Virginia Gun Collectors Assn. show at the Prince William County Fairgrounds in Manassas this coming weekend. I can bring the mould to the show if you have any interest in it.

Jim Burgess
15th Conn. Vol. Inf.

I sent you a private message. I?ll take your mould.
Thanks, Brian

Jim_Burgess_2078V
11-07-2022, 12:59 PM
Brian,

Sent a return PM.

Jim Burgess