PDA

View Full Version : Romano Ballard questions

Mike McDaniel
10-26-2022, 11:04 PM
Being somewhat deranged, I acquired a Romano Ballard a few days ago. .44-40, the N-SSA approved type. I?ve got a few questions.

1. The breechblock lever doesn?t lock into place under spring pressure the way that a Sharps would. Is this normal?

2. Who can do a trigger job on this beast?

3. Any advice on loading would be welcome.

Thanks.

Jim Wimbish, 10395
10-27-2022, 01:04 PM
Mike,

I picked one up this Spring. I shot it once and decided the sights were too low and mine is now off for some sight work. The lever on mine comes up over a small pin on the lower tang and stays in place when you close the breech. You might need to send me a picture. Send me a PM with a phone number and we can take this off-line if you like. The chamber on mine is tighter than the Uberti Henry that I shoot. I am going to try bullets sized .427 rather than .429. I suggest that you experiment with bullet sizing and seating to be sure that your rounds will chamber before making up ammo. I don't plan to shoot my 240 grain bullet in the Ballard. Instead I am going to shoot a 260 grain Keith style sized .427. As for powder charge, I tried a load of Swiss #2 23.5 grains and it shot well. I can't help you on the trigger job, my gunsmith is currently recovering from surgery. I also shoot an original Ballard rifle in 45 Colt and have lots of experience with it.