PDA

View Full Version : Potsdam "carbine"

hawkeye2
10-18-2022, 04:26 PM
I just got this recently from Lodgewood thinking of using it for parts but I kind of like the way it handles and am having second thoughts. Yes, the stock is firewood but I believe with enough epoxy and reinforcement I can make it serviceable. The barrel was cut at 29 3/4" and the front band was moved back to utilize the existing middle band spring. Both sights are intact as is the guard mounted swivel. The inletting for the front band isn't perfect but not bad either. This doesn't look like a Bannerman job and I've never seen one cut down this way. I've never heard of one being cut down for service use by either side so my question is; was this cut for use by either side or is it just a different form of post war mod? I suspect the latter,

John Holland
10-19-2022, 03:53 PM
Sir - If you have a copy of "Confederate Carbines and Musketoons" by Dr. Murphy please read the copy of the Confederate orders to their multitude of Salvadge Stations. And then think long and hard before even considering touching this altered musket.

hawkeye2
10-19-2022, 03:58 PM
Thank you John. I was originally thinking of this as a parts source but after I had it in hand I decided to hold off. There are far better arms to cut down for service and the work looked to be a little too good for a farmer's gun. I'll do more research.

Edit, I just checked the price of that book, used, on Amazon, $195.87!

krawls
10-19-2022, 06:24 PM
I have a copy if you need to check it.

hawkeye2
10-19-2022, 07:02 PM
Thanks Karen, would love to see it.

John Holland
10-20-2022, 03:04 PM
The passage I am referring to may be in "Confederate Rifles & Muskets" by Madaus & Murphy rather that the Carbine volume. I believe Paul Davies also quoted it in his Richmond book. I'm sure Karen has both of these books too!