PDA

View Full Version : Rear sight screw w/ the post for shims

RaccoonRough
10-13-2022, 01:49 PM
Hello,

I recently was given a replacement rear sight screw for my 3 band 1855 Springfield. This replacement rear sight screw has a post in the middle so I can place shims on top of the post in order to elevate the rear sight ladder.

This is so I can use on shim(s) for 50 yard sights and another/or adds more for 100 yard sights.

Questions.

Does anyone know where I can purchase a screw driver/tool to remove and replace the rear sight screw for the long range sight on my 3 band 1855 Springfield?

Does anyone know where I can purchase some shims to use along with my new rear sight screw, with the post?

Thanks

Sven205
10-13-2022, 05:01 PM
For the long range sight you will need a tool like this to fit into the 2 holes/recesses on the screw.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/6022/category/458/category_chain/392,439,440,458/product_name/SR0803+Sight+Wrench+For+1855+-1870+Springfield+Rifle

For shims on long range type sights I use a flat washer, Something like a 5/16" diameter that will fit between the sight channel. Stack one or two to get more elevation. I'm unfamiliar with the screw with a post however, so this may not be an option using the screw you have.

Carolina Reb
10-13-2022, 05:28 PM
S&S also stocks the sight screw tool.

https://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=58S219&cat=86

hawkeye2
10-13-2022, 07:39 PM
The sight tool will work to remove the screw but if the replacement screw has a post on it you'll have to drill a hole in the tool between the two prongs for the post to go up into. The tool works for originals but the hole spacing on some repros is different and the tool won't fit.

RaccoonRough
10-17-2022, 10:05 PM
Yea, this is what I was wondering and looking for the correct tool. Might have to make one I guess.

Still not sure where I can find some shims to work with this. Guess I will have to find some washers or something that the inside fits the post and the outside isnt to wide for the rear sight.

The sight tool will work to remove the screw but if the replacement screw has a post on it you'll have to drill a hole in the tool between the two prongs for the post to go up into. The tool works for originals but the hole spacing on some repros is different and the tool won't fit.

Michael T.
10-18-2022, 12:03 PM
Nathan, take the new screw to a place that sells screws, nuts and washers.
Ace Hardware ,Home Depot Tractor supply #8 or #10 flat washers should work, it is what I use
Mike