PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Sharps O-Ring.....questions

RaccoonRough
10-10-2022, 01:39 PM
Okay.

I have a recently manufactured Pedersoli 1862 Confederate Sharps carbine. I mention that it was recently made, because I get the feeling there has been some changes in the breech block on some of these in the past years. Mine is made in 2022.

It has a plate with an O-Ring in it to stop the fouling and gases.

Does anyone have any experience with this carbine and where I can get some additional O-Rings? Do I need to get a high heat type of O-Ring?

Also, what is the best nipple to use on a Pedersoli Sharps? I only have the one that came from Pedersoli with it.....

Looking for any help or advice so I can get this thing up and going for Spring Nationals.

Thanks

gemmer
10-10-2022, 05:48 PM
The reviews of the latest version of the Pedersoli Sharps with the O ring breech block are not very good. Most people think that the Flees or Hahn modifications are still the way to go.

Maillemaker
10-11-2022, 02:13 PM
Does your Sharps still have a free-sliding chamber sleeve? If you take out your breech block, does the chamber sleeve freely slide in and out of the barrel? If so, it's probably going to leak gas. Pedersoli has misunderstood the historical Sharps chamber sleeve (called a buching (bushing)). It was indeed adjustable, but was essentially fixed in place once adjusted. You had to use a special tool to adjust how far the sleeve stuck out into the receiver and so bore against the gas check plate of the block and made a good seal.

Pedersoli evidently took this to mean that the sleeve (buching/bushing) was free floating.

O-rings can be easily purchased from McMaster-Carr or Grainger. You will just need to use some calipers to measure the existing o-ring. The o-rings are essentially disposable - I replace mine after every shooting/cleaning session.

I had the Larry Flees conversion done. The gun will essentially shoot indefinitely with no cleaning and no change in the function of the action. (I clean the bore after every course of fire).

Not to put Larry out of a job on these guns but I keep hoping Pedersoli will fix this problem. Their guns are probably up in the $1700 range now I'm guessing? It's a real shame to have to buy a $1700 gun and then drop another $350 or whatever it is these days to get it to shoot right. If someone at Pedersoli would just take one of their guns to the range and try to put 20 rounds through the gun they would immediately see the problem.

Steve

Michael T.
10-18-2022, 12:07 PM
Took a sample o-ring with me to NAPPA Auto parts, they had them in stock..
Mike