PDA

View Full Version : Uberti 1862 Police Revolver

Yancey von Yeast, 8073
09-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Does anyone own a Uberti 1862? Do they shoot well (for a colt...)? Any thoughts on the 5 1/2" or 6 1/2" barrel?

Thanks!

Stefan
09-15-2008, 12:24 PM
I only have experience with the one I bought. I have no idea how typical mine is so take it for what it is worth. I got it for my wife, thinking that it would be a light gun that would be easy for her to shoot. Out of the box with 15 grains of 3F it would shoot about 2.5 feet high at 25 yards. With the help of a revolver smith I fitted the barrel/cylinder pin so it is now all straight and I put a very tall front sight on it. After that it would hit target paper, but it is not an easy gun to shoot. It is simply too light. I never invested enough time in it to determine a minimum group size. My wife was able to do much better with a 44 Remington and two-handed grip. I cannot recommend it for any serious target shooting. They are very cute though.

Yancey von Yeast, 8073
09-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the information. Was yours a Uberti? They sure are cute, your right. I thought being smaller it would be easier to shoot.

Stefan
09-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Yes it is a Uberti. And thinking about it I think the load was even lighter that 15 grains.

devisser
12-09-2014, 02:45 PM
I have a Bill Richards 6 shot 1862 police colt revolver and I use 19 grains of 3f (The more powder the lower it shoots.) I use buckshot and at 25 yds it shoots better then I can hold the firearm. Mine is all steel (4 screw model) so it is a little on the heavy side. I think Bill Richards decided to built the "perfect" revolver. The revolver does not match the original, but I have the feeling Bill Richards decided to have the "ideal" revolver made. Does anyone else have a Bill Richards 1862 6 shot revolver?

Curt
12-09-2014, 04:44 PM
Hallo!

I had the Uberti with the 4 1/2 inch barrel. I got it for my wife.

IMHO, being a pocket pistol, and small and light, they are best or better suited for sticking it in an enemy's or foe's face or from across a table and pulling the trigger rather than for military type combat effective ranges.

Yes, as is the case with most revolvers, the factory stock sights give a distant POI that being able to control and shoot it accurately to, makes hard.

I love the look of the design, and am a big fan of the "Goldilocks" of Colt M1860 Army, M1861 Navy, and M1862 Pocket/Police. (But only shoot the '60 Army.)

Curt

Ron/The Old Reb
12-10-2014, 07:31 AM
"IMHO, being a pocket pistol, and small and light, they are best or better suited for sticking it in an enemy's or foe's face or from across a table and pulling the trigger rather than for military type"

All Colt Pocket revolvers were only good for shooting a card shark across a poker table.