PDA

View Full Version : Remi 1858 hammer spring

neilh
07-09-2010, 01:41 PM
I have read that the hammer (main) spring on cap & ball revolvers should not be changed. However using the standard hammer (main) spring causes tendonitis in my thumb. I have no choice but to change the spring. Some say that using a peacemaker spring from Wolfe springs is best. TCI Gun parts also sells reduced tension springs. Who makes the best replacement spring?

Thank you

Southron Sr.
07-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Instead of purchasing a new hammer spring, you can simply grind down the one that is already in the gun. This will make it easier to cock the gun.

Keep in mind that you need a hammer spring strong enough to "bust a percussion cap," so you can only grind away so much!

GOOD LUCK!

Mike McDaniel
07-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Why not just back off the tension screw?

DAVE FRANCE
07-11-2010, 08:06 PM
I think you can cock the hammer with the left hand. If you do that I would wear a glove.

David France

DAVE FRANCE
07-11-2010, 08:12 PM
A second thought. If you use a weaker mainspring, you will be lightening the trigger pull. Most of the "pull" we get with the revolvers we use is caused by the mainspring force and friction (not the trigger spring). I think most cowboy action shooters who change to a weaker main spring do it to get a lighte trigger pull.

Bon Chance!

David