PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Smith Tubes?

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
07-09-2010, 01:32 PM
The last post on the Plastic Smith Tubes thread asked about anyone's experience with new rubber Smith cartridges. I thought it should have it's own thread.

They sure look interesting to me, but I've got over 200 black plastic ones with the rims beveled and brass liners in the ignition holes, so I thought I’d wait to hear from other folks before replacing them with something different.

Good, not-so-good or just okay, I’d like to hear from folks who are actually using them.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
07-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Gary, I'd say ok. I got 50 and tried them, but I thought I shot slightly better with the old black tubes. Also, keep in mind that the flashole in the rubber tube is very small--I had some problem with misfires when I covered it with a colored paper dot, but no misfire when I left it naked.

Joe Plakis, 9575V
07-09-2010, 07:16 PM
That is what I thought the problem with rubber would be, that when the cartridge goes off the rubber would compress and you might have some amount of blow bye.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
07-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Joe, I'd expect you'd get less blowby with the rubber (compared to the hard metal tubes), but I think the same thing happens with the black plastic tubes, only they don't return so much to original size--that's why you have taken to resizing them befoe reloading! For both, the gas pressure is released mainly thru the barrel, with a little escaping thru the flashole in the tube, enough to eventually erode the flashole in the metal breech. This erosion happens faster as the flashole in the tube gets larger with repeated firing, unless you keep them smaller with the metal rivets.

SBALLA
07-13-2010, 12:37 PM
If you want to try out the rubber smith tube I now sell them in less then 50 piece packages.
Price is $0.70 each (Min. Order 25) plus $6 S&H
Link to Website: http://www.yoresupply.com
Link to Order Form: http://www.shelltube.us/pdf_files/Smith ... r_Form.pdf
I have plenty in stock so I can ship them right away.

I should have a PayPal option soon.

I think you will like them.

Steve Balla