PDA

View Full Version : Smith rejuvenation

Rebel Dave
07-09-2010, 11:41 AM
I have a original Smith Carbine, that needs some help. It has very bad side to side play/wobble, and up and down play/wobble. What is the best way to correct this, ??. Is it some thing I can do myself,??, or should I have some one do it for me, ??.

I have thought about getting the bbl front half Chrome Playted, and grinding it down to re fit to the breech section. Has anyone ever done this,??. At present, I fitted a .0025 shim stock in the hinge area, and that has tightened it up, but that is not the correct way, to make it permanant.

I also need a complete rear sight, I would like a quality repo, to make into a peep sight. I broke the one that came with it trying to "square it". I think it was a Pietta.

The bore in this ole friend is real nice , and I think it will make a good shooter. I have 400 of the old white plastic tubes w/the brass grommet in them all loaded up with the lyman #515139, and 35 grns of 3f w/cow filler. The tubes are from a Smith I shot 20 yrs ago.

Rebel Dave aka Dave C.

Joe Plakis, 9575V
07-09-2010, 01:45 PM
With Smiths you can commonly develope a wobble due to three different things.
The first (up and down) wobble can be due to the top strap opening up. On the rear of the strap you have a rectangle that accepts a lug from both the reciever and barrel.
Second (side to side) can be commonly caused by two different things. Your hinge screw could be worn out, when the diameter begins to wear it opens up the play. Replacing the screw can solve this. The other is that the two ears that fasten to the lug of the barrel (the pivet point) could be spread out allowing side to side moton. Sometimes if a minute of space just tightening the screw can solve this problem, if not a gunsmith can squeeze the two gently together.
The last and usually the most obvious is the long screw the goes through the buttstock can be loose allowing play in all directions.

Just food for thought.

As for the sight, Gator Den, S&S or Lodgewood just to name a few.

Kurt Lacko 7862
07-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Dave, I'm going to add one more to Joes list. After you get yours fixed, please don't slam the breech closed with a sharp snap. Think of it as a fine break-open shotgun. Bring both sections together til you feel resistance and then close firmly by muscling it closed. I've seen guys slam them closed like they wanted to break the carbine in half. I firmly believe this causes premature wear. I have several thousand rounds through my Pietta and its still nice and tight when closed up with and without a round in it. Good luck. Kurt.