PDA

View Full Version : LUBE INGREDIENTS- BEESWAX vs SOY WAX

Southron Sr.
09-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Recently I was another black powder shooting website and a poster recommended using Soy Wax (available in craft stores) as a substitute for beeswax in making bullet lube.

Has anyone on this forum tried using Soy Wax? If so, how good or bad is Soy Wax as a lube ingredient?

THANKS !

Mansionyac
09-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Recently I was another black powder shooting website and a poster recommended using Soy Wax (available in craft stores) as a substitute for beeswax in making bullet lube.

Has anyone on this forum tried using Soy Wax? If so, how good or bad is Soy Wax as a lube ingredient?

THANKS !

What site? I'm very curious about this. Beeswax has skyrocketed in price around here. You'd think the bees were all dying or something.

John Holland
09-10-2008, 09:45 AM
The following is from a UK website concerning food allergens:

Soya is considered one of the most important food allergens. Thus soybeans and products thereof are listed in annex IIIa of the EU directive on labelling of foods. It is also listed as a major food allergen by the FDA (USA) labelling regulations. Soybean is one of the most difficult foods for the allergic consumer to avoid as it is used in many processed foods. It is thus the classic "hidden allergen".

JDH
44th NY

paul w/McGregor's 385V
09-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Mansionyac,
You must live in an urban area. Loss of bee colonies due to a currently unknown cause has been going on for the last several years. Once healthy colonies are dying off rapidly.

Bee keepers with healthy colonies are in high demand in many growing areas.

Take care and be safe
pfb

William H. Shuey
09-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Where can one buy this soy wax?? The problem of bee colony extinction is becoming serious and bee's wax is going to be getting scarcer as time goes on. Considering that a number of fruit and vegetable crops are dependent on bees for cross pollenization there is more than bee's wax at stake in this issue. I'd like to get some of the soy wax and experiment before my supply of bee's wax runs out.

Bill Shuey

Wayne Shaw, 1985V
09-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Bill I checked into it the other night. Googled "Soy Wax" and there were more sites than I thought I would find. Has very low melting point 100deg.
Have fun reading. It looks like it would be worth a try? Wayne Shaw
Harlan's Light Cav

Southron Sr.
09-11-2008, 07:55 PM
OOPS! I don't remember which M/L website I saw that posting about Soy Wax. Might have been the SASS website, but am not sure.

100 Degree menting point of soy wax dosen't sound encouraging though.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
09-12-2008, 10:56 PM
How much is bees wax going for? I just bought some at $3.50 a lb. and could have got more Is that too much ??? Thanks

kymmwilson
09-13-2008, 12:01 AM
your gonna love this one
i use only bees wax its cheep and its always available .......
toilet to floor seals(new ones) are are what iuse (mostly bees wax)!! and never missed a beat

RaiderANV
09-15-2008, 02:44 PM
I'll sell ya all the old used ones I replace at 75% off the cost of new ones :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!:

:mrgreen: