PDA

View Full Version : Brown Bess use in N SSA

SHARPS4953
07-19-2022, 05:54 PM
I asked this question a few years ago but have forgotten the answer.. (senior moment) Anyone know what model Brown Bess musket can be used in competition? I was gonna shoot mine for fun at individuals.

Scott Fisher

SHARPS4953
07-19-2022, 06:06 PM
I actually found my old thread and answered my own question...but if anybody still shoots one what loads do you use. Ive got a Pedersoli 75 cal Bess

Scott

MR. GADGET
07-20-2022, 10:35 AM
I hope to pick on up one from an individual in Winchester soon or nationals at the latest.
Will keep you posted when I work up loads. I plan to run the same charge I do in my full length 42. Bout 80 grn.

hawkeye2
07-20-2022, 06:47 PM
The Brown Bess is not an approved arm but the Pedersoli (unmodified) can be submitted for individual approval and will pass. The N-SSA rules for loading a flint gun pretty much remove it from any team event as it would be far too slow. I had my Bess approved years ago but have never shot it as I'm not interested in individuals, only team events.

I found 85 grains of 2f which included priming was the most accurate load using an unpatched .735" ball.

Mike w/ 34th
08-09-2022, 11:24 PM
I?ve gotten individual approval cards for the Coach Harness Long Land Pattern and Miroku Short Land Pattern. I?m sure a Pedersoli Short Land Pattern would pass.

The Brown Besses and Bess conversions used mainly as prison guard guns were most likely India Pattern arms captured from Mexico during the Mexican-American War. There aren?t any ready-made India Pattern repros that I would trust to shoot. My ?made in India? India pattern has a bore that is non-cylindrical, with a heck of a constriction for about 6? in the middle. It took a mallet and a steel rod to drive the ball home. Will never do that again. But Rifle Shoppe kits with good barrels would be very shootable.