PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW: Marty's Arms roundball mold

John Westenberger
07-09-2022, 07:02 PM
Let me open first by saying I have no affiliation with Martys Arms molds, and have never even spoken to the man himself.

I purchased an 1842 Springfield over the winter built using a nice 1849 dated lock and a whitacre barrel. The assembly was subpar, the stock inlay looked like it was done with a sledgehammer, and there was more epoxy holding the thing together than wood in some places. But boy, did it shoot. I borrowed some roundballs of various sizes from a few fellow N-SSA members and went to the range. 10 shots turned the 10 ring into a ragged hole with .680. I figured it would be easy to find a mold. A few phone calls, an email or two and I'd be in business in a few weeks! Boy was I wrong...

Since round ball molds are no longer in production by Moose at Moose molds (I still egg him on every time I see him!), and Rapine molds are a thing of the past, a majority of new smoothbore shooters have been either dealing with the big dogs (Lyman, lee, etc), or having to track down a used or new old stock mold. Through some deep internet dives I came across Marty's arms. Primary a manufacturer of buckshot molds, they also produce standard and metric roundball molds. CNC cut out of aluminum in Minnesota.

First: the service.
I ordered my mold on the evening of 7/1. My hope was to have it for the last skirmish I will be attending for the season at the end of the month. I received it this morning around 7:30am! Even with the fourth of July mixed in, he made my mold Tuesday morning (It's marked 7/5/22 under the handle) and shipped it out the same day. Now that's speed! The beauty of a full time manufacturer, and a few CNC machines making mold at the same time.

Next: The mold.
Pulling it out of the USPS box, it was wrapped up fairly nicely. Opening the wrap and inspecting the mold revealed nice machining, with 4 cavities (Yes, FOUR!), unfortunately no sprue cutter. The handles are rather short, but usable. Visually the mold has his logo and "Round ball .680" machined into it. I immediately got the lead pot cooking, and prepped my other molds for a day of casting. Acetone, compressed air, and moose juice were applied to all three. As usual, the moose molds performed well, but the stunner was the new Marty's arms mold. After leaving the mold on top of the pot to get warm, and 3 fills with lead to get it hot, it started dropping beautiful looking roundball, right at .680. The fourth cavity closest to your hand was hard to reach using my lee 4-20 bottom pour pot, but was usable. I did find I got the best results if I could get the spout of my pot right over the hole, and drop the lead into the mold directly. But that's normal. I casted about 100 within the album I was listening to, and shut the pot off. Moving everything inside, my carbine and musket rounds went into their tupperwares to be lubed and loaded at a later date, and the roundballs stayed out. Getting a pair of flush cutters, I grabbed each ball and trimmed the sprue. Another 15 minutes and I had 93/100 up to snuff roundballs, with 7 having imperfections of some kind. Weighing each one, almost all of them fall between 460 and 470gr. A few dropped a little lighter, but in the high 450's. Nothing that will effect performance substantially. Putting the roundballs away, and after some dinner, I start to clean the molds. I get to my new Marty's arms mold, and the handles are easily removed with two screws on each side. An acetone wash, and a quick coat of ballistol, and I'm done.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the mold. It's made nicely, and will definitely get used for years to come. My biggest, and really only complaint, are the handles. They are of nice construction, being made of a decent hardwood, but far too short. They also have no coating, leaving just a bare finish. The design of the mold also means that you get the ends nearest the mold burnt with long periods of use. I wear gloves while casting and even I could tell the mold handles were hot, and my hands were too close to the mold. There was also a light wood burning smell near the end (There are, in fact, burn marks in several places.) I took the mold apart, and am putting a few coats of linseed oil to get as much mileage out of these handles as possible. But during the offseason I will fish out some scraps and my router and make longer and more comfortable handles. Unfortunately he doesn't advertise molds specific to the thousandth, just the hundredth. If you need .680, you're set, .678? I'm not sure. I'd imagine it's just adjusting a CNC file, but I don't know.

At the price of 120$ (Plus shipping) it is an expensive investment. But one that I wouldn't hesitate to purchase, should you have the need.

Bill Weedman 7431V
07-10-2022, 08:27 AM
I have two 16 cavity molds in smaller sizes for shooting round ball and just ordered another. A person can cast a years supply of round ball in about an hour. I checked the ball by weighing them and quit as they were so consistent. Just make sure you have good lead flow when filling the mold.

John.Hayes
07-10-2022, 10:20 PM
Thanks, John. Well done, keep posting reviews! jh

hawkeye2
07-11-2022, 08:54 PM
Thanks for an excellent review. I had looked at his molds a few years back, figured they would be great for sinkers and left it at that. I went to his website after reading your review and watched the videos posted there. I came away quite impressed and will probably buy one of his molds in a size for a couple of my flint guns as a trial. BTW, now includes free shipping USPS Priority.

https://www.martysarms.com/

John Westenberger
06-16-2023, 12:20 PM
1 year later. Since I've had a few issues with it, it was worth coming back for some adjustments to judgement.

In my original review I sang it's praises from start to finish, minus the handles. They stank. When I lent the mould to a teammate, he also got sick of the short handles, and made some longer oak handles. Not only does this get your hands far away from the heat (And a 4 gang aluminum mould gets HOT, but more on that later), but also gives you more leverage to squeeze the mould shut. New handles have really increased both ease of use and quality of outcome. I would definitely recommend doing these day 1.

Another complaint I now have is it gets HOT. It's a big chunk of aluminum and holds a lot of lead, so it takes that heat fast and it builds up fast. There have been concerns about it warping. That came to a point last weekend. The mould would not shut all the way without leaving gaps in the middle. It looked warped. I took the mould apart, cleaned it with acetone to get all the old mould prep out, and oiled the hinge. Now the mould opens and closes all the way without gaps. Now, this would just show maintenance is key, but think. This mould gets hot, very hot. It blows the oil right off of it within 10-15 minutes, and gets stiff again, then won't close. A little high temp grease between the two halves by the hinge ended up being the solution to this. There isn't much of a permanent solution for this, so it is just a flaw, but a correctable one.

1 year later, 4/5 smoothbore shooters on my team borrow this mould from me a few times a year to cast from it. It's gotten a lot of use, and has revealed a few, easily fixable flaws in the process. Overall, I still recommend it highly. Still wish I had a rapine or moose with a sprue cutter, but this definitely does the job quite well.