PDA

View Full Version : WTB 1863 Remington "Zouave" Barrel

Doug Ortwerth
06-24-2022, 04:05 PM
I recently picked up a reproduction 1863 Remington "Zouave" .58 cal musket for a very good price at a local gun shop. I took a chance knowing this was probably one of those N-SSA banned muskets imported by Hy Hunter. The rifling looked pretty good, the stock is in good shape, and it did not look like the gun was shot very much. It even came with an Ideal minie ball mold and a decent sling. I removed the barrel and carefully inspected the bolster, there is no evidence of brazing. I did scratch down a little bit and it is all bright silver in color (no yellow). The serial number is 1998, and there is no evidence this is one of the later Zoli barrels. I have not shot it yet. I am not lucky enough to have much hope that this one would get approved and get a SAC card so I was going to order a new Whitacre barrel for it, but before I spent the funds, I wanted to check to see if anyone had a decent N-SSA approved barrel they would like to sell.

jswift
06-24-2022, 07:12 PM
Doug, I believe I have a spare Zolie Zouave barrel, let me check, I'll get back with you. Thanks, Jim

Doug Ortwerth
06-25-2022, 04:02 PM
Jim, Thanks.

jswift
06-25-2022, 08:11 PM
Doug, I have two spare barrels one has a fairly nice bore except for some pitting in one spot near the breach and no rear sight and looks like some one tried to file off the bayonet lug and filed a flat shallow space on the bottom of the barrel. The other barrel has none of the outside appearances of the first barrel but has a nice finish, however, the bore not good in need of Hoyt reline. Let me know if either fits your needs. Thanks, Jim

Doug Ortwerth
06-26-2022, 05:54 PM
Jim, PM sent.