PDA

View Full Version : H and P, shark fin front sight. Can or must?

Harry Gaul
06-22-2022, 04:46 PM
I have an H and P smoothbore musket, but the front site is the classic, small, brass front site. Searching auction sites and sites on this forum, it appears that most or many H and P's had the classic, brass, front site. Previousily, I had an H and P approved by SAC that had the Shark fin front site. My question is "do the H and P smoothbores for SAC approval can or must have a shark fin front site". Under what circumstances is the small, brass, classic front site legal? All other specifics are good.

Inquiring mind wants to know.

Harry in Pa.
Forney's Battalion
03626v

Ben Nevlezer
06-22-2022, 08:16 PM
To be approved by the SAC, an H&P smoothbore must have a "shark fin", or "pinched", front sight. And it must also measure within the proper tolerance regarding the hight of said sight. I'm sure Mr. Holland will correct me if I'm wrong.
I believe that when H&P did the conversations, with smoothbores, or rifled guns, they added the pinched front sight to raise it to the proper hight to match up with the rear sight which they also added in their conversion process. The rear sight also being installed on the barrel backwards on the rifled variation.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have my books out in front of me at the moment.
Hope this helps,
Ben.

John Bly
06-22-2022, 08:24 PM
The shark fin is correct for an 1816 H&P conversion but not for the 1840 Springfield H&P conversion. I know, I built one and it was rejected because I used the shark fin sight. I had to use the regular brass front sight used on original 1840's and 1842's

Maillemaker
06-23-2022, 03:05 AM
I think John is right. I just had my reproduction H&P approved with a brass bead/blade front sight. It is based on an M1840 conversion.

Steve

Ben Nevlezer
06-23-2022, 02:56 PM
I stand corrected. John is right. I had a brain cramp and forgot about the 1840 version.