PDA

View Full Version : Attention: revolver shooters

kowdok
06-30-2010, 07:36 PM
This is probably not the right place to ask this, but I'm just searching for a general feeling among revolver shooters to see if a majority feel as I do. The revolver is hard to master, it takes lots of time, effort and practice to get good at and I find it frustrating to put a lot of time into it just to shoot 3 quick events at Nats. I, personally would like to see 4 events, probably pot sillouettes . Assuming time involved and extra cost could be accommodated , how do you revolver shooters feel about this. If there is enough interest I may pursue this further, maybe with a survey in the Skirmish Line.

Kurt Lacko 7862
06-30-2010, 08:21 PM
I think its a great idea. I believe you'll find more than a few others that are still raring to go after the 3rd event. I just tried looking for the last Nationals schedule of events and couldn't find it to see what would be working against the idea. Kurt.

Edit: Thanks Fran, just looked at the schedule. Doesn't appear any conflict other than some time out of the revolver individuals and those guys will be with the rest of us on the 4th event! So it wouldn't matter.

Francis J. Miller Jr, 02601
06-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Kurt,

Here is the link to the last Nationals schedule. It was in N-SSA Official Information.

http://www.n-ssa.org/NATIONAL/2010/prel ... ay2010.pdf (http://www.n-ssa.org/NATIONAL/2010/preliminaryprogramMay2010.pdf)

norman horne, 12321
07-01-2010, 08:08 AM
I cannot see where another 30 minutes would break the "time bank" at Nationals. I would love to fire an additional set of targets! Pursue on!!!

Mike McDaniel
07-01-2010, 08:26 AM
I don't care either way, but would suggest something bigger than the pots. Those are a 10-ring shot...which means that anyone not shooting in Expert class will have a very, very hard time hitting one. Perhaps a 6-inch tile event, which would put the pressure on speed over pure accuracy. Actually, you could make a case for both, substituting pots for hanging pigeons. Variety is a Good Thing.

I'll add that the 30 second sillouette event shot a couple of Potomac Regionals ago was an excellent event. Reasonably balanced between speed and precision, and economical as well.

RangerFrog
07-01-2010, 08:47 AM
When I first glanced over this, I was not really understanding what you were asking for, but upon rereading it, I think a 4th event in the Revolver Team Matches is really not too much to ask for. After all, the Musket, Carbine, and Revolver are the original "Big 3" of our skirmishing weapons, yet the Revolver gets fewer team events to shoot than any of the other weapons, which are of lesser priority in our long-time scheme.

One reason for not having the additional event may be that the Revolver Range is limited during team matches to just 25 yds, and the fourth event in other matches is frequently at a longer range than the others, and this could not be done on the Revolver Range, but then again 4 events at 25 yds wouldn't be bad, huh? JMHO Green

Froggie

kowdok
07-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Great conversation, keep it up. If we get a majority of positive responses here, I'm wondering if I could design a very simple survey sheet to be included in everyones team packet that is given out as you sign in at Nats. This could be filled out only by revolver teams and turned in to the staff Fri. morning at the revolver range. Simple questions such as 1) would you like a 4th 25yd event , 2) If so, what would be your preference of targets, 3) would you be willing to cut time for some procedures , ex. 5 min to load to 4 min to load, in order to accommodate the extra time involved. Also double hang events 1 & 2 and 3 & 4. 4) would you be willing to pay an extra $1 for team registration if it is deemed too expensive for the 4th event. Keep the comments coming.
I too think a 50 yd event would be ideal, but until we can move the mountain back, I don't think that's going to happen.

Gary B
07-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Great idea Jim,
After reading so far, it begs the question:
Had we not been phyiscally limited all these years by the current revolver range to 25 yards, would we be shooting a 50 yard team event as a normal program ?
After all, it is the only firearm that we do not shoot the same distances in a match as in individual competition.
We shoot a 50 yd. event in many local matches, one 6" tile per shooter and it usually adds a new level to the competition.

To answer your original question, I agree there should be a 4th revolver event and right now 25 yards is all we can do.
But perhaps, with respect to long range planning, we should be thinking of relocating the Revolver range ?? (It's cheaper than moving a mountain) Maybe to the far right side of the range and dedicate the existing revolver range for BB gun competition (or other future specialized firearms)?
Just a thought outside the box,
Gary B.

Mike McDaniel
07-01-2010, 09:39 PM
If the revolver range went to 50 yards, we would shoot a 50 yard event whether we had three events or four. 6-inch tiles, maybe 2-liter bottles, or a sillouette.

B. Miller
07-02-2010, 12:42 AM
I would really appreciate another event. Right now it's almost not worth dirtying the revolver. I could care less if I shoot musket , carbine or anything else and actually don't want to. Revolver is what I want to shoot. I would be happy showning up on Thursday night and leaving Friday night which would give me a chance to shoot my revolver individuals too.

kowdok
07-12-2010, 07:22 AM
More responses needed. I really believe we can get something started at the Nat. level if there is sufficient interest.

Eggman
07-12-2010, 11:16 AM
GREAT IDEA. I would prefer another 25 yd event - namely the large tile to hopefully work off some frustration from the previous events.

kowdok
07-18-2010, 04:16 PM
btt

Michael Bodner
07-20-2010, 10:11 AM
More targets......

I come to shoot. More relays the better with any gun, in my humble opinion.

Oh wait. I'm not humble at all!!

-Mike