PDA

View Full Version : More than 200# #9 "extra hard" lead shot $250

Jim Barber
05-10-2022, 09:29 PM
I started out with 10 25 lb bags in the trunk of my car. Several of them leaked. Everywhere. I recouped the spillage into large metal cans and ziploc bags, so it's close to the original 250.
Because my car is geriatric, and really doesn't need any more weight on its osteoporosis-riddled frame, I won't be bringing this to Nationals.
Anyone willing to pick up here in Columbus, OH, $250 for the lot of it. For reference I'm about 3 miles west of I-71 and 2 miles south of I-270.
Note that it's Number 9 shot, pretty tiny, and bags marked "Extra Hard Lead Shot."
I'd hoped to use it for casting roundball or for carbine ammo, but it's pretty dang hard. If no one ends up taking it I guess I'll blend it in with good lead when I'm doing RB and Smith bullets.
Or loaded in the shotgun for hunting very, very small prey. Really don't know what you use #9 for. Surely someone here does.

Anyway, you can text me at 740 507 4887 or reach me here on the BB if interested.
Heading to VA Weds. morning, available any time before or after Nationals.

Cheers,
Jim B.
110th OVI
#5821V
Grove City, OH

Ron The Old Reb
05-11-2022, 01:22 AM
"really don't know what you use #9 for. Surely someone here does."
38 SPL or 44 Mag Snake Loads

Jim Barber
05-11-2022, 06:44 AM
"really don't know what you use #9 for. Surely someone here does."
38 SPL or 44 Mag Snake Loads

Thanks Ron, that explains it. Got enough here to take out ALL the snakes on the plane!

Have a good one.
Jim

bobanderson
05-11-2022, 07:16 AM
I'd mix it at 1lb hard lead per 3 lbs pure and cast it into outstanding bullets for any breech loading firearms and smoothbore balls.
There's no way I'd cast round balls for a muzzloader out of hard lead.

smn192002
05-11-2022, 10:58 AM
PM sent...

Jim Barber
05-11-2022, 08:50 PM
Lead is sold!

Jim Barber
05-11-2022, 11:17 PM
I'd mix it at 1lb hard lead per 3 lbs pure and cast it into outstanding bullets for any breech loading firearms and smoothbore balls.
There's no way I'd cast round balls for a muzzloader out of hard lead.

Bob,

I agree! When I mention "hard lead" I'm thinking of basically anything that's not good/pure enough for minies. The non-pure/clinky stuff, I'll use for SB and Smith carbine. Not wealthy enough to get into the "true" breechloader game yet (Ballards & Henrys and so forth, the Smith doesn't count), but someday... I think the antimony and tin % on lead shot makes it, as you mention, really really high on the Brinell scale. My brother acquired this lot as part of a hazmat salvage deal (our bullets are hazmat!) and didn't know whether it'd be pure, "hard" or "dang! hard" when we got it. Having a steady, fairly predictable, cheap supply of "crappy, not good enough for Minies" lead, I hated to mix this with the expensive pure stuff for carbine/SB. The shot had to find a new home!

Travel safe!
Jim