PDA

View Full Version : New USPS shpping surcharge on anything longer than 30"

Maillemaker
05-04-2022, 12:07 PM
Heads up for everyone:

Starting last month, USPS is now charging an additional $15 surcharge on any item longer than 30".

If you're shipping a musket, this might affect you.

Steve

Muley Gil
05-04-2022, 08:29 PM
WONDERFUL :(

You would think the USPS would try and encourage using their service.

WCJ
05-05-2022, 09:24 PM
I just shipped a custom muzzleloader that was in a long box maybe a little wider than it needed to be but I wanted the extra protection. Anyway it cost me $95.00 to ship it through USPS.

apriestley
05-05-2022, 10:00 PM
I mailed out a Rolling Block today. $37ish from PA to ME even with the surcharge. Still far cheaper than UPS.

John Bly
05-06-2022, 09:31 AM
I shipped a long box by UPS in January and they charged a $30 surcharge for the long box. I guess USPS is just keeping up with the competition.

ewmail15
05-27-2022, 10:13 AM
Hi. Yesterday, I just won a Terssen rifle from Leland Little Auctions in NC. Few minutes ago, I received an email that they don't ship rifles, but provided USPS, Fedex, Durham Pack-n-Ship and a fourth. Called them all, but none said they ship rifles. What's with all this bad luck? I'm hoping to receive a call from the contact at Leland, as I requested better leads on shipping and if possible for them to just wrap the wallhanger in three layers of cardboard box material, then coordinate pickup from whoever the heck will ship it. I also called USPS local here in WI, and she said might need to be disassembled. Think there's a lot of disinformation out there, not sure. Ugh. Eric.

Maillemaker
05-27-2022, 01:16 PM
Local "UPS Stores" are a chain and don't ship guns. UPS, however, will.

USPS should ship an antique non-FFL firearm. Problem is getting them to understand what you are trying to ship.

Muley Gil
05-27-2022, 08:38 PM
Your rifle was made pre-1899 and is considered an antique. It can be mailed from NC to your home, providing there are no local laws prohibiting the shipment.

Maybe a kind skirmisher who lives near Hillsborough NC could pick it up for you and ship it to your home.