PDA

View Full Version : 1861 Springfield swivel problem

Steve Weems
05-04-2022, 11:35 AM
I have been working on getting a rescued Schubarth 1861 model Springfield complete. it is now in shooting condition but a couple problems. the one i am dealing with is the front swivel is broken off. It broke at the point where it was attached to the part that rotates so I need to remove it so I can install a new swivel and save the original band itself. I was hoping one of the NSSA members has dealt with this problem in the past and would have a suggestion. I have acquired a replacement along with the small bar it rotates on. The alternative is to replace the band with a repro and save the band for whoever acquires it in the future. By the way it was cutdown and so i have returned it as a Razeed 1861 Springfield carbine. Thanks John Holland for sending the spec sheet on the Razeed 1861's. I still have not brought back the front band to conform to the spec sheet and may leave it for a future owner to do so. I am thinking someone in the future may decide to return it to full three band original form.

John Bly
05-05-2022, 08:00 AM
You need to drill the pin out of the swivel base. If you have a new one you can determine the diameter. Once it is out you can install the new one. Put a slight countersink on the swivel base holes, not much just enough to provide a locking head on the pin. Peen the ends of the pin to enlarge the ends. File the pin flat to the swivel base and you should be done.

Steve Weems
05-06-2022, 07:22 PM
Thank you John ? your explanation was straight forward so that even i can understand it.

Regards? Steve

John Bly
05-07-2022, 09:00 AM
Even though I made it sound easy, it is not. Peening the new pin and making it look good is a challenging task that perhaps a half dozen people in the organization can do properly. If you are coming to Nat'ls bring the band with you and I'll do it for you. I see you aren't a member so you can send it to me.

Steve Weems
05-08-2022, 06:13 PM
Even though I made it sound easy, it is not. Peening the new pin and making it look good is a challenging task that perhaps a half dozen people in the organization can do properly. If you are coming to Nat'ls bring the band with you and I'll do it for you. I see you aren't a member so you can send it to me.

John You are right the install went fairly easy but making it look good will take some more work or a complete retry. Wish i had the option to come to the Nationals. Thanks again for the advise Steve