PDA

View Full Version : Mixing powder safely?

jaegerstutzen
04-18-2022, 08:00 PM
Going through the catacombs again I discovered Maybe 10 1lb. cans of black powder containing very little to half full. How can I mix these safely so it will be one lot? Rather not burn my face off. Thanks for looking.

Muley Gil
04-18-2022, 08:31 PM
Going through the catacombs again I discovered Maybe 10 1lb. cans of black powder containing very little to half full. How can I mix these safely so it will be one lot? Rather not burn my face off. Thanks for looking.

I recommend a large wooden bowl and a wooden spoon.

Maillemaker
04-18-2022, 08:34 PM
Firstly, I'm assuming you are certain that all the containers actually contain real black powder.

Assuming that they do, if they are all the same brand and granulation, then you could just get yourself a funnel and pour from one can into another can. I save my empty cans/bottles and when I bought in bulk by the sack at Back Creek I would use this method to refill my empties.

Some purists would say not to mix powders of different lot numbers, and some folks advocate re-doing a load workup every time they switch lots. I'm not so rigorous.

Steve

John Bly
04-21-2022, 08:56 PM
I mixed about 16 lbs of several different lots into one lot several years ago. I used 2 metal buckets and a wooden spoon. I poured two cans of different lots at a time into the bucket. I mixed it with the wooden spoon and poured it back and forth between the buckets several times. I poured it into cans and marked it as one lot. I checked my load and adjusted as needed.

Twrea
04-22-2022, 05:55 AM
I used a 5 gal bucket and my hands

Bob Lintner
04-23-2022, 05:53 PM
Nah, give it away, I'll send you my address. On a more serious note, if they are all of the same granulation and brand, just pour it all in a bucket and mix it with your fingers or a wooden spoon and use a funnel to refill the cans. Use some duct tape on the cans to write data on-date, mix, results of shooting etc etc.
Bob

jaegerstutzen
05-18-2022, 12:00 PM
Appreciate the response. They are all Goex 1and 2x. Fixin to trade it off to a re-enactor for blanks. Got enough unopened 2&3 to last a while. Jaeger.