PDA

View Full Version : More conversions by Merrill

ewmail15
04-13-2022, 05:45 PM
I finally got around to reading sections of Moller's vol. III book, searching for "Merrill". These two definitely piqued my interest. Whole bunch of online searches turned up absolutely nothing, but maybe somebody in this forum might have a book showing the Tryon 1841/1844 converted by Merrill, or the 1861 Whitney/Plymouth rifle with his conversion. Figure if Moller hadn't owned it, only other likely place would be in some museum, and I've pretty much exhausted my museum inquiries here in the states.

I should be receiving this month Merrill carbine photos from the curator at the Grand Curtius Liege Museum in Belgium (www.grandcurtius.be). He's also going to provide photos of a Soper for me.

plymouthairrifle
04-14-2022, 08:00 PM
I just looked over your Merrill site, What a fine job!!! Thank you so much for sharing all this information with us!!

ewmail15
05-04-2022, 09:41 PM
Can anyone with an extensive firearms book collection let me know if any book has these? Thanks.

ewmail15
05-11-2022, 09:34 PM
Anyone with books you could recommend I check out? There's a big library nearby in Milwaukee I could check out. Eric.

ewmail15
08-27-2022, 07:22 PM
Does anyone here know George Moller's collaborators on his third book, any still alive? Maybe they have the recollection of the books that illustrated the Tryon/Texas and Plymouth Merrill conversions.

Seems I'm way late to this joy of antique firearms collecting. George, Ray Geddes, Andrew Lustyik all died shortly after I received their photo sharing consents. Maybe

When I received the okay from George a few years ago to use photos from author Ed Hull on Merrill, Latrobe & Thomas firearms, I just had no clue he was the pre-eminent Merrill collector on the planet. I have maybe three names of individuals who have very respectable, growing, varied Merrill-related firearm collections. Eric.

ewmail15
08-27-2022, 07:35 PM
Here are screen shots of George's acknowledgements. I only know 3 or 4 names. Gotta get out of WI more often. Tried to have them appear in order per the book, but no such luck.