PDA

View Full Version : Two Romano Guns for Sale: Spencer and Perry

Jim Wimbish, 10395
04-13-2022, 10:54 AM
SOLD PENDING FUNDS As a result of losing 2 1/2 years of shooting due to the Covid pandemic, I have decided to reduce the number of black powder guns that I shoot to the ones that I actually use in matches. I shoot a Henry so I no longer need a Spencer, Price reduced.
Romano Spencer. I bought this gun before I joined the NSSA in 2000. It has a Douglas match barrel as Larry was not making his own barrels when I bought it. I have shot it in one or two matches at the Fort and it was fun to shoot. If you use a good steady motion it cycles beautifully. Easy to clean as the breech block removes with a single screw. Comes with the Romano mould, over 50 Ballard cases made for this gun, a Blakeslee box with 6 tubes, and a sizing die. The prices on originals are up and you would need to get a model 1865 and convert it if you want to shoot 56-50. I have also heard that they don't like to cycle when you work the lever which is not a problem with this gun as it cycled beautifully for me in matches. I am asking $3500, including all of the extra items listed. If you want to experience shooting a Spencer, this is the gun to buy.

Jim Wimbish, 10395
04-15-2022, 10:43 AM
Price reduced on gun. Spencer is now $3500. Can pick up at Fort for these prices, only.

Earl Burlin
04-17-2022, 01:48 AM
Is the stock on the Perry carbine finished? It looks quite a bit different from an original in terms of shape and looks to not have an oil finish applied yet?

Kevin Tinny
04-17-2022, 06:39 AM
Hello, Mr. Berlin:

I tried to reply with a lengthy post about Larry Romano's Keen and Walker, but the connection failed and the post was lost.

There are Internet images of originals with levers that appear distorted, and the two originals in the Smithsonian have slightly different barrel lengths. Larry's barrel length matches the one in Norman Flayderman's "Book of Antique Gun Values".

Romano's Keen and Walker carbine was Production Approved by The N-SSA's Small Arms Committee (SAC), which indicates it is a very close copy of originals in shape and dimensions.

Short answer:
Yes, his stock closely matches originals in shape and oil finish. I have one and have seen three others; each are the same. Please PM me for more, if wish. Smiles.
Edited for typo's.

Very respectfully
Kevin Tinny

Earl Burlin
04-17-2022, 07:55 PM
Very nice. After looking at more originals, yes the stock is a close match.

Intersting that no load data on what these carbines were loaded with exists. Some say loose powder and roundball, others paper cartridge and conical, there?s no consensus.

Kevin Tinny
04-17-2022, 09:34 PM
Hello, again Earl:

Larry told me he recommends a standard 54 Minie musket load of loose GOEX 2/3Fg with bullet sized to chamber OD. He used MCM lube from John Dewald at North East Trade Co in Muncy, PA.

Kevin Tinny

Earl Burlin
04-17-2022, 09:36 PM
Hello, again Earl:

Larry told me he recommends a standard 54 Minie musket load of loose GOEX 2/3Fg with bullet sized to chamber OD. He used MCM lube from John Dewald at North East Trade Co in Muncy, PA.

Kevin Tinny

Interesting, is that how it was done originally?

Kevin Tinny
04-17-2022, 10:21 PM
Hello, Earl:
I have no info on original Keen and Walker loads. Larry handled an original that had been in a WV family since the CW and it was a smoothbore with proper front sight. His Keen and Walker bore and twist are compatible with Minie's. He said the only owner reported tested and used projectiles in his Keen's are Minie's.

Kevin Tinny

Jim Wimbish, 10395
04-18-2022, 09:49 AM
Keen and Walker is off the market.

gmkmd
04-18-2022, 12:08 PM
PM sent on Spencer.

Jim Wimbish, 10395
04-18-2022, 12:47 PM
Spencer is sold pending funds.