PDA

View Full Version : (Another) Lube question

fuddster
03-30-2022, 04:19 PM
Hi, I've got a question about everyone's favorite subject...lube
I've been using a 50/50 mix of bees' wax and 50W synthetic oil the last few years. The last shoot I attended I noticed a lot more fouling in the barrels then before. I'm sure part of it is that I should have used a fresher batch of lube,
My question is has any used the "Buy My Lube" from the Rebel Trading Post, and if so how is it? I see the not so secret ingredients are Shortening, beeswax and lard. I would assume (depending on temperature) that they may be a need to add more beeswax at some point. I've used Len's Lube with beeswax in the past and was actually hoping to obtain some more but haven't had any luck finding anyone that can supply it.

Thanks for the worldly advice in advance.

Bill Brim
Sherman's Bodyguard (Murfreesboro detachment) 7238V

Lou Lou Lou
03-30-2022, 05:01 PM
Rebel trading post Carries it. Tim Scanlon has been know to have Len?s Lube as well

fuddster
03-30-2022, 09:17 PM
Rebel trading post Carries it. Tim Scanlon has been know to have Len?s Lube as well
Thanks Lou Lou Lou! I'll work on that tomorrow am.

michael noble
04-04-2022, 12:29 PM
Len's Lube is great, especially in cooler weather. MCM is also great, works better in warmer weather than Len's for me.

geezmo
04-06-2022, 03:00 PM
Since we are talking lube, and Len?s lube was mentioned, I have another question. When I started skirmishing in 1970 I simply mixed bees wax and Crisco in a one pound coffee can and melted them together. Shortly after that I discovered what I seem to remember as Len?s lube. It was sold by an older guy (probably younger that I am now) in a small hut by the bridge. It had graphite in it and a hint of winter green mixed it for flavor. It was about the consistency of the current Lens lube. Was that the same mix that we get now, less the winter green? Or, am I imagining this looking back through the fog of time?

Joseph Plakis Jr, 00302V
04-06-2022, 04:11 PM
For what it is worth I would stay away from Graphite. Contrary to popular belief graphite is not a lubricant, it is an abrasive that polishes a metal surface to a mirror finish. It was used in motor oil by Atlantic (Arco) refinery years ago. If you check it out you will find they replaced a lot of engines. I ran across it when a customer used it in an air compressor. He caused more problems than the good it was supposed to do. if you want to put a powder lube in it use Moly Disulfide. I tried Moly Disulfide to coat a barrel. It is extremely time consuming and not worth the effort.
Joe Plakis Jr
Hampton Legion 000302V

Rick R
04-06-2022, 05:44 PM
I was in the bearing industry for 8 years a long time ago and one of the things I remember was what a mess Molybdenum Disulfide grease made our of roller bearings. I forget the exact application circumstances or conditions, but it broke down and produced sulfuric acid which didn't play nice with steel. I think it breaks down with heat and sheds the Sulphur but I'm not sure how that would grab the hydrogen and oxygen needed to become H2SO4.

Muley Gil
04-06-2022, 08:31 PM
The late, great Pete Petrone told me he would put a bit of garlic powder in his lube for a touch of flaver. :)

JW 5875V
04-08-2022, 02:37 AM
Well o'l Lefty from Knapps Battery may be willing to share
some of his recipes for lube after he comes back from the beach
from his winter escape.

Jim Whitehouse Sr 5875V
Allegheny City Guards

RangerFrog
04-08-2022, 09:48 AM
Years ago Buck Emmert made up a lube for the Schuetzen game, but as some of us went from that smokeless use to BP, it was worth a try. Guess what? it worked! Essentially it?s Beeswax and Crisco, but over the years I?ve seen a touch of lanolin added and I?ve even thrown in a pinch of Carnauba wax as well. It sticks to my Minies and bullets for my Maynard for a good long time and does the job well over a variety of air temps. The only weakness is it will dry out on very old ammunition and starts to lose its best characteristics at that point.

Froggie

PoorJack
04-17-2022, 04:57 PM
Well, it depends. There is no universal lube to fit all load and gun combinations. I have yet to get the Rapine Trashcan to shoot any better than it does with Len's lube. In my Parker Hale with the RCBS Hogdon, it's beeswax/lard. In my 62 Colt with Moose International, MCM.