PDA

View Full Version : Photos of disassembled Jenks mule ear, anyone?

ewmail15
03-20-2022, 06:06 PM
Hi. I picked up a receiver assembly from Bruce, thinking it might be Merrill-related. After looking at one of the photos I captured of a Jenks at the Chicago Public Library (Harold Washington), from boxes of the War Department's weapons exhibit in the 1893 Columbian World's Exposition, I realized 99.999% that what I have is indeed a Jenks receiver assembly.

Would anyone be able to share photos of your disassembled Jenks? Would really like to confirm the odd lever end/lip, plus the receiver bridge and the plunger side cutout. Thanks, Eric.

Prototype Receiver Assembly - thecure (smugmug.com) (https://jameshmerrilltribute.smugmug.com/Firearm-Related/Prototype-Receiver-Assembly/) and World's Columbian Exhibit, 1893, Report of Committee on Awards - thecure (smugmug.com) (https://jameshmerrilltribute.smugmug.com/Books-Publications/Books-Non-Government/Worlds-Columbian-Exhibit-1893-Report-of-Committee-on-Awards/i-Qw9bffQ)

Hal
03-21-2022, 07:07 AM
Eric,

I will try to remember to take mine apart and take some pics in the next couple of evenings. I am a sucker for something different and unique. The Jenks certainly fills the bill. I had wanted one for years before finding the one I have. They are certainly an attention getter at the range.

Hal
03-22-2022, 07:09 AM
Eric,

Hope these help:

Hal
03-22-2022, 07:16 AM
Eric,

I do have other pics I took, so if this is not enough, let me know and I will send the others. I was kinda stumbling through the photo attachment process.

ewmail15
03-22-2022, 07:29 AM
That's perfect Hal. This might set me on a mission to find a Jenks in need of restoration. Do your barrel underside and receiver underside share the same part assembly number? Is it same as on the plunger face? Appears to me that not only did Merrill copy/improve upon Jenks' breech assembly, but he also took the assembly number stampings as well. Thanks again. Eric.

Hal
03-22-2022, 12:29 PM
Eric,

I don't remember if the assembly numbers match or not. I'll try to remember to look next time I have it apart.

Yes, the design is very similar. Merrill added the expanding copper plunger face, which I'm sure is an improvement, although I've not noticed any excessive breech leakage on the Jenks. The Jenks has no latch to keep the lever down like the Merrill does. I think the toggle linkage does go over center so if it's closed completely, it tries to close harder rather than open.

I shoot .535 round balls in mine. It's not the most accurate gun I own, but it's close to the top on cool factor. I skirmished with it once. I managed to hit an egg at 50 yards, but I also managed to miss a lot of clays too, so the egg was just luck. It might do better with a conical, but I don't know if you could get one to chamber as a whole cartridge. I use a conical in a paper cartridge in my Merrill, but there's more room to load it than the Jenks.

plymouthairrifle
03-22-2022, 01:20 PM
When the hammer falls onto the cap it lands on the lever locking the breech as the gun fires. Thanks for posting the photos!

Hal
03-22-2022, 04:53 PM
You are right. I don't have a pic posted showing the hammer, but yes, the ear of the hammer comes over the top of the loading lever when it falls.

ewmail15
03-22-2022, 07:42 PM
Hal, have you ever seen a Jenks with such a lever end that the underside is cupped/recessed? My first photo sort of shows it. Trying to figure out if what I have is rare or not (earlier model?), and if I should try to build around it or find someone to use it.

Also, you mentioned you have a Merrill - present tense? I don't have any record of you on my tribute website - https://jameshmerrilltribute.smugmug.com (https://jameshmerrilltribute.smugmug.com/). Would you be willing to share photos of that one, namely the serial on lever and maybe lockplate, plus part assembly number on so many parts, mostly backsides?

BTW, your pm box is full. Eric.

Hal
03-23-2022, 07:05 AM
Eric,

Thanks for letting me know about my mailbox. I have now purged it.

No, I've never seen a Jenks lever that was curved underneath like the one in your photo. But then again, I'm certainly no expert on them or even a student of their development. I'm just a proud owner of one. It certainly looks like a Jenks though. I would not be surprised if you find that it is indeed a prototype.

Yes, I am a current owner of a Merrill, as well. I'll send you a PM on that subject.