PDA

View Full Version : Ram Rod Repair?

JimW
03-20-2022, 04:09 PM
Is it worth getting original ramrods repaired? I have an original Mississippi ramrod that some nice person shortened. Anyone know of someone that does such work?

Thank you

MR. GADGET
03-20-2022, 04:11 PM
Tom Crone has fixed some for me. If anyone can he should be able.to do it.

bobanderson
03-21-2022, 08:35 AM
Last one I did, I drilled and tapped the end of the original rod, then did the same to a piece of 7/64 drill rod and joined them together with a piece of threaded rod (6-32, I think. Maybe 8-32).
Put the pieces together with loc-tite and it's as good as permanent.

Dimensional sizes are offered based on my rapidly fading memory and should be approached with caution.

Rebel Dave
03-21-2022, 12:16 PM
Find a good welding shop, and have them weld a longer section on. Then cut to correct length, and tap the end back to 10-32 threads, and you are done. You might have to grind the rod smooth at the weld joint, also.
All this is not hard to do either, if you have a mig welder, and a tap, and die set.

Rebel Dave

Occupied Maryland
03-21-2022, 05:26 PM
Find a good welding shop, and have them weld a longer section on. Then cut to correct length, and tap the end back to 10-32 threads, and you are done. You might have to grind the rod smooth at the weld joint, also.
All this is not hard to do either, if you have a mig welder, and a tap, and die set.

Rebel Dave
I stretched the shortened ramrod on my 1842 Harpers Ferry using a section of GI M-16 cleaning rod as donor material. Both ends were slightly tapered on a grinder and clamped in angle iron for a welding jig. Using a window cut thru the angle iron to allowing welding 2 sides, I welded front and back, rotated the rod 90 degrees and finished the welding. A little careful grinding wheel work followed with filing and sand paper finished it up.. Cut my threads and then wrapped the worked area in a paper towel and wetted it with Clorox and let sit over night. Cleaned the rusty crud off with fine steel wool, oiled it up and it looks original. Good luck.

Hal
03-22-2022, 07:24 AM
I'm not a fan of threading two pieces together. I had a repro that was made that way and it did not stand up to hard use, like trying to get a ball down a fouled barrel. If it were mine, I'd go the welded route.